On Jun 11, 2012, at 2:50 AM, Guy Gold wrote:

If  you're on a GSM network, can you get a dual SIM ? And, buy a
cellar modem, and from that point use one of Asterisk's chan_
drivers ?

Someone else also suggested it.

Thanks to both of you.

I have a problem with figuring out how to get a cellular modem that both works and is unlocked for voice.

Even in Israel, all of the modems sold are 2 or 3 generations ahead of the software and google has not been helpful with information about backwards compatibility.

So anything I buy is a gamble I can't afford to take.

It's also complicated because I am moving in two weeks and would buy one or two used netsticks if they would be in my hand before I move (if you have one or more used for sale and can drop it off in Jerusalem, contact me off list) and after I move sort out the asterisk use or not.

After that I can try to find one on eBay, after sorting out the compatibility issues, but by the time I did that and got an order from China, we are talking about 400-500 NIS and a month of waiting.

At that point it's almost worth buying a cheap android phone (any suggestions/offers?).

It's even more complicated because at today's rates, 99 NIS of VoIP "airtime" buys more than my whole family uses, both cellular and landline, even when my teenage son had a girlfriend and ran up a 1000 NIS cell phone bill over three months. :-(

Geoff.

--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
To put it in terms everyone understands, the US debt is over 275 Facebooks.