On Thu, Jun 14, 2012, Eli Zaretskii wrote about "Re: Emacs & Hebrew":
> > I think you must agree that the unicode bidi algorithm was never designed
> We are talking about Emacs, not about the UBA.  Emacs already uses the
> "high-level protocols" fire escape provided by the UBA to redefine
> what a paragraph is (the basic UBA says it's a physical line, which
> would make the bidi display useless).  It could use such protocols
> more, and it could use its advanced display features to produce better
> display in these cases.  The key to having this is to use Emacs 24 and
> report bugs and missing features.  By contrast, turning the reordering
> off will never yield any improvement in this area, and is only a
> stopgap solution never designed to be a real feature.

Like I said, try the example Perl instruction of changing aleph into
bet:

        s/א/ב/

See how the Bidi algorithm makes it appear as if we're changing the
other way around - bet into aleph. I honestly don't see what kind of
base direction choice or other high-level protocol can "save" this
case. I have to admit I didn't try it on Emacs 24 (which I don't have
yet), but did try it on other bidi-capable programs. Maybe there is a
workaround in this case, and you can educate me?

Thanks,

Nadav.

--
Nadav Har'El                        |                  Thursday, Jun 14 2012,