On Fri, 2012-06-15 at 10:41 +0300, Dov Grobgeld wrote:
> as the syntax engine should isolate the bidi reordering of A from that
> of B, there is no problem. It won't be flawless though as e.g. in the
> following example:
>
>    string.tr("abcdef",
>              "ABCDEF")
>
> where you would like to substitute an 'a' for an 'A' and a 'b' for a
> 'B'. By applying reordering on "ABCDEF" you would loose the visual
> alignment.

Nice example!

It could be complicated further by having strings with mixture of LTR
and RTL glyphs.  Such as:

string.tr("abcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz"
          "ABC,EFG abc: HIJ>KL d<e MN")
// small characters and LTR and capitals are RTL.

In which BiDi reordering would leave the software developer very
confused if he wants to figure out into which glyphs do 'q' and 'v' get
translated.  Or which glyph was the original for ':'.

It illustrates the reason why I prefer to have no automatic BiDi
reordering of source code displayed by Emacs.
My preference, when editing software, is to show all text in logical
order, but provide the user with a popup window showing the visual
order.

--- Omer

--
MS-Windows is the Pal-Kal of the PC world.

I may be affiliated in any way.