The advantage of using Qt or Gtk compared with some of the other gui
toolkits mentioned (fltk, Tcl/Tk, SDL, or Matlab GUI) are that they are
complete (lots of widgets, internationalization and localization support
etc) if the prototype turns into something bigger than was initially
envisioned. To often have I seen tools that were written like "oh, its's
only for me" and then a company is trying to figure out how to deploy and
support the tool. I therefore thing it is worth taking the time to learn
complexity of one of these GUI's, and then use it.

The language is a separate issue from the GUI. The difference between Qt
and Gtk is that Qt was from the beginning written to be tighly coupled with
C++, whereas gtk (actually the glib model) was written so that it is easy
to bind it to various languages. There is even a special GObject (the base
class of gtk) dedicated language. See:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vala_%28programming_language%29 . True, there
are some bindings to Qt, e.g. the official python binding PySide, but the
huge amount of bindings to gtk shows that it is a much easier task.

In short, decide a language and a toolkit. Take time to learn it. It is
well worth your time.

Regards,
Dov