Last week I installed Ubuntu 12.10 and Windows 7 on a laptop. Both run fine, so tonight I did a software update on the Ubuntu system.

It boots, I get a login screen and when I log in I get a blank screen. Totally black with a white cursor.

An Xterm started from the console starts, but nothing show up on the screen. Once with a lot of playing around I got the Ubuntu icons from their new system on the left, but they were inactive and the menu bar at the top was blank.

So either it is a X Windows problem and I'm stuck, or it's a gnome problem and I am partially stuck. I tried removing my gnome setting directory and it did not help.

The old options of a failsafe session or a lower res or 2d session are gone.

I'm trying plan B, which is to install KDE and see if it works.

Luckily I have a fast internet connection, it download around 500 packages.

Geoff.
--
Geoffrey S. Mendelson,  N3OWJ/4X1GM/KBUH7245/KBUW5379
"Owning a smartphone: Technology's equivalent to learning to play