I have seen (but never had enough incentive to investigate) that changes in
groups very often only become effective for running procs or even restarted
daemons after more drastic steps (like reboot or start/stop cycles), I
don't think there is a real need for the dirs to be readable too, that just
enables listing the content and if you aren't interested in that a system
should work just fine with only execute permissions.