Instead of creating a separate bgrep, it would have been better to be
able to extend the syntax of regular expressions (in egrep, Perl and
other platforms) to allow specification of binary strings having
arbitrary length by means of an hex string.

This would come instead of making it very cumbersome to specify strings
longer than one character (\xnn or \unnnn or equivalent - see also:
http://www.regular-expressions.info/unicode.html).

And if we are at it, it would have been nice to add to all R.E. engines
hooks to allow private extensions of R.E. syntax, in order to allow
people to concisely express special parsing requirements.

--- Omer

--
What happens if one mixes together evolution with time travel to the
past?  See: http://www.zak.co.il/a/stuff/opinions/eng/evol_tm.html

I may be affiliated in any way.