Hi Zvi,

On Tue, Dec 15, 2015 at 7:59 AM, Steve G. <word...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am not a professional programmer, but after taking a couple of Python
> online courses, I am trying to put the knowledge to good use. I am working
> on a few study-aids for learning English words.
>
> Currently I write the code in gedit or nano/pico, then run the script in a
> terminal, using "python scriptname.py". The platform we used in class (
> http://www.codeskulptor.org/) is not designed for programming on a PC, I
> need some advice on an IDE that allows one to code and run and decode
> errors from within the IDE because mine is not the best way to develop
> code.
>
> It would also be nice to create a GUI version of my code (currently all
> takes place in a terminal), and even possibly move it to the web (i.e. run
> the program inside a browser window), if that is doable.
>
> Finally, I would also like to continue using the language and maybe
> contribute to community projects that use it (yes, I realize a couple of
> courses do not a programmer make).
>
> So I have a number of questions:
>
> 1. Is there an Israel/Tel Aviv Python group?

See:

* http://www.meetup.com/PyWeb-IL

* https://groups.google.com/forum/#!forum/pyweb-il

It seems that lately the PyWeb-IL Google Group (a mailing list, web forum,
etc.) has become more active than Python-IL and the discussions there are
not restricted to Python-on-the-web exclusively.

> 2. Are there any places where someone can help in python projects? I hear
> rumors there is something on Google Campus, but I am not sure if it is
> python related or if they take newbies.

Do you mean physical places or Internet resources? For Internet resources,
I can recommend various chat venues such as Freenode IRC (
http://freenode.net/ ). On Freenode, there's a very active #python channel
(which I don't have on autojoin) and I also like ##programming which tries
to help people with programming questions on all programming languages and
APIs.

> 3. Would someone be willing to 'mentor' me - that is, help me move up the
> python food chain, by doing OOP programming, using advanced IDE's tools,
> making apps from my code so people can use it on a cell phone or tablet, or
> as part of Facebook, disseminate the code through git or similar versioning
> tools, etc.?

Since I'm not a big Python expert, I'd rather not volunteer to do that.
I've collected some resources for that here though:

*
http://teachingopensource.org/index.php/How_to_start_contributing_to_or_using_Open_Source_Software

* http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/how-to-get-help-online/

*
http://www.shlomifish.org/philosophy/computers/open-source/how-to-start-contributing/

Regarding "making apps from my code" - a web application, with some effort,
would be accessible from mobile phones, tablets, as well as other browsers
on desktop machines or laptops or whatever. Furthermore, applications are
not restricted to mobile phones/etc. as
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Application_software is any computer program.
I believe this terminology is derived from the act of applying a
Turing-complete machine to handle a different "language" (= perform a
different task).

Regarding IDEs - I have a partial list of them here -
http://www.shlomifish.org/open-source/resources/editors-and-IDEs/ - and
there are links to more lists for those on that page. I currently am still
happy using vim/gvim for most of my coding, and disliked most IDEs I tried
for Linux.

Regards,

    — Shlomi Fish