The concepts remained the same (see the Dragon book of Aho&Ullman; a great
book, BTW).
As long as the new libraries and parsers implement the same algorithms,
everything is OK.
>From what I see, the only fundamental thing that changed since those
ancient days, is the higher need to support streaming data.
Most of the parsers in the past, assumed that the entire file is available;
Today, in most of the cases, you must start parsing when only the beginning
of the data is available, and continue in chunks.
It may look funny but until recently you could not find HTML to DOM parser
that could start its work before all of the file was available.
Well, too much speaking off topic, sorry for that... ;-)