how do u explain pcmcia modules, that work in "user
space"? and what about v4l drivers that ALSO work in
user space? how do u explain the concept of LKM at
all? u just cant say that LKM doesn't figure in the
analysis. Why do u think it is possible to run Linux
without a keyboard just over a serial line? is that
possible in ANY monolithic kernel around? I agree
there was a HUGE flame war on comp.os.minix back in
1992, where linus said that micro kernel arch sucks,
but that was in reference to Minix. I think Linux
definately has a lil' bit of micro kernel arch, as
many ppl. are finding it a nice os for embedded
systems. Cobalt servers themselves run linux, without
a keyboard and a monitor. I am not arguing that Linux
is a micro kernel altogether, but what i'm trying to
say is that it isn't totally a monolithic arch. either
atleast the kernel as we know it now, either. I
understand Linus built it as a monolithic kernel, cuz
that's what made sense to him back then in 1992. But
things have surely changed, and 2.4 is just around the
corner. Just tell me how many people compile in EVERY
driver linux provides, and use a monolithic kernel. I
bet there's not even ONE person on the globe. Micro
kernel is s'posed to pass messages to "user space"
programs to do all the dirty work, but where does one
draw a line, when most of the drivers t'day turn out
to be user level hacks? heck, the whole DRI is a major
"user space" hack, with VERY lil' interference from
the kernel. i've spent the last 1 hour arguing on IRC
in slashdot and MIT, in that sequence, and i hope to
prove my point here also... I am willing to be refuted
by all the gurus that inhabit this list. I agree this
topic doesn't fit in this list and belongs to LIG, but
i am not subscribed there, and i would appreciate it
if the discussion could be done here, or pvtley.
thanx.

sorry if i sounded a bit raw out there, no offense.

Nikhil.