--- Kedar Patankar <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>       What features of a microkernel do you think are
> there in linux?
> LKM? I don't think it can be said that LKMs is a
> characteristic feature of
> microkernels.
>       LKMs don't have their own address space, they don't
> have a
> active thread doing the work, they don't run in user
> mode.
>       Linux can be called a "modular" kernel, not a
> microkernel. If you
> say ability to load LKMs is a microkernel
> speciality, then even solaris,
> hp-ux and possibly aix (although I am not sure with
> aix) may be claimed to
> have microkernel-like architectures.

the pcmcia driver and some v4l drivers run in a
different address space. so there.

>       That way, it can be claimed even more ligitimately
> for most of the
> RTOSes. They do far more complex things that what
> cobalt has done.
>       And none of these RTOSes - VxWorks, Nucleus, pSOS,
> uCOS, eCOS -
> are microkernel architectures. They can't afford to
> have the luxury of
> having a "clean" arch at the cost of
> efficiency/speed.

dont u think a modular kernel is does involve a bit or
micro-arch thinking? atleast the same idea is used.
which is address space it runs in, is a different
topic. I think the Linux does use some ideas from a
micro-arch. Linus, back in 1992 has said in
comp.os.minix, when Linux 0.10 was the latest one to
be around, that all the user wants to see is how
things are handled on the top layer. how it goes on
inside deep is none of his concerns. speed and
effeciency matter the most. I think Linux has borrowed
the modular ideas from the micro-arch.

Nikhil.