Hi

There is a problem with font path. do 'chkfontpath'. Did you tried to add
a new path? Check for the line similar to

fontpath <something I don't remember>  unix:-1

in /etc/X11/XF86Config. You do not need this line if you are not accessing
fonts over network. If not required, remove this line.

See whether the error goes away. Chances are tha you tried to play with
font path and !@##@!# up.

 Bye
  Shridhar