I ~think~ this is because the color settings of your XTerm conflict with (or
override) those of your gvim.  Try setting your XTerm as "Linux Console"
(Debian may call it something else - but I've seen similar problems running
Mutt with colors turned on, in a redhat / gnome xterm)

Suresh Ramasubramanian | [EMAIL PROTECTED]

LIH is all for free speech.  But it was created for a purpose - to help
people discuss issues about installing and running Linux.  If your
messages are counterproductive to this purpose, your privileges to
submit messages can and will be revoked.