Hello ,
        Thanks for the reply.  Perhaps that was not the problem . I had not
removed XF86_SVGA. Anyway now I can get into X but  only at 640x480
resolution with 16 colour

What I did was :
Tried your method . Didn't work
Then I  did a custom full install of PCQ RH6.2.
After that I immediately upgraded to kernel 2.2.16-3,
ran Xconfigurator and it worked fine and detected my intel 82810 card by
probing.
After exiting Xconfigurator , I did startx& and I got a different kind of
problem now.
It told me something like :
"gart allocate ....could not allocate.... page allocation failed at 0 of
1024 " (not the exact words).
Frustrated, I again ran Xconfigurator and this time I opted for an graphical
login.
When I rebooted, I did get a graphical login !!
But  only at 640x480 resolution with 16 colour

Anyway I can now run my favourite xplot ,xboard,etc.

Even doing 'cntrl-alt-+' does not help.
Perhaps it could only get 64K of video mamory.
Any clue as to what went wrong ?

You wrote :
> I had the same error running after upgrading to 2.2.16. That was because
in the
> process under XFCom, I had set the symlink of XF86_SVGA to XFCom. If u had
> deleted XF86_SVGA, reinstall (force if reqd.) it, things should start
working.