On Mon, 27 Sep 1999, Srikrishnan Chitoor wrote:

>   Forgive me if this is a naive question.

A question *not* asked is a dumb question. If in doubt, ask! ;-)

>  I have a computer directly (no firewall) connected to Internet and which
> has an IP address of 192.168.1.100.
>
>   Is this computer more secure than a computer that has a valid Internet IP
> address (like 207.209.79.204) and is behind a firewall?

*Technically* 192.168.1.100 is a non-routable address on the Internet.
Hence no-one should be able to reach the machine from the outside.

But this means absolutely nothing. Today's crackers know a trick or two to
get around such "limitations". IP spoofing comes to mind. You can safely
assume that you are vulnerable.

But I am not the security expert here, just a guy with an opinion and a
strong belief in the abilities of someone who tries hard enough.

Hence Raju - take it from here.... ;-)

Atul