Anand Singh Bisen wrote:

> I am back ....... with answers ..... (great this place is happening)

Oh goody!

>> Any idea what accelaration we are talking here ??? Also, what happens if
>> i run my Xserver with option "no_accel" ???

> <<<< No Answers >>>>>  May be later

I'll wait!

> Dont get G200 instead go for RIVA TNT2 it's far much better if you are
> serious graphics coder or even gamer becaue it supports
> Vesa/VBE  3.0, OpenGL, DirectX and is a better performer,,,,,, <<<i dont
> know much on G200 but i have a friend who has swapped his G200
> for TNT2

How much does the TNT2 cost? Most of the hackers are very excited with
the G200 and esp. the G400 incld John Carmack! From what i have found
out, there is no competition to the G200 *in it's price* class.

Can i have links to the benchmarks and reviews for the TNT2?

>> IMHO, GLX,Mesa and DRI are all OpenGL implementations! It is called
>> OpenGL as it has been made open source very recently by SGI.

> I dont actually support you here because OpenGL is only the core library
> which is system and platform independent and GLX is used on Unix OpenGL
> implementations to manage interaction with the X Window System and to
> encode OpenGL onto the X protocol stream for remote rendering.

Right! So dosent that make GLX an *implementation* of the OpenGL specs?

> Mesa3D is the non official implementation of OpenGL on Linux and other
> platforms by Brian Paul.

Quake uses the Mesa libs as it was the only open source implementation
of the OpenGL specs. Now that GL itself is Open(GL), perhaps John
Carmack and his team will use the official API itself, ie GLX.

I would definetly prefer to play quake from the console! Why carry the
excess baggage when u can leave X out. But then, GLX is not available
w/o X, so glquake from the console uses libmesa and not GLX!

> GLU is the OpenGL Utility Library. This is a set of functions to create
> texture mipmaps from a base image, map coordinates between screen and
> object space, and draw quadric surfaces and NURBS.

<shanu slightly dazed with the technical jargon> :)

> > Now with GLX, an application can either use the mesagl libs or the
> > Xserver GLX API.

> <<<< No Answers >>>>> but something fishy because i have to use Mesa libs
> in any case because a OpenGL program on Linux cant function withought
> using Mesa3D libs and secondly it

Since, mesa libs were the only *open source* libs available for
programmers to work, all the programs have been written using the mesa
libs. I dont think anyone is using GLX as it will be appearing only in
X11R6.4.

Can't verify that! www.mesa3d.org seems to be down.

> > Is it an extension or is it an implementation of OpenGL,like mesa?

> It's an extension ......
> http://www.opengl.org/Documentation/GLX.html?GLX#first_hit

OK

>>> nOw you are getting it !!! it's GLX.

>> Hmmm... If i were referring to X + OpenGL it should be called GLX. If
>> it is quake, i would referre to it as mesaGL. Why??? Mesa is what the
>> Quake engines (Q1,Q2 and Q3A) use and not GLX.

> Nope I can render scenes with Mesa3d on X withought using GLX

Are u referring to Quake or some mesa3d demo progs? GLQuake will work
w/o GLX as i had pointed out earlier, it uses libmesagl.so!

Since u can render gl scenes w/o GLX, obviously u get h/w accelaration
w/o using GLX. Right?

Conclusion: Hardware based GL accelaration is possible w/o GLX as long
as u have mesalibs!!!

>> GLX,mesa and DRI are just implementations of SGI's OpenGL technology.
>> If it were not for OpenGL there would only be DirectX <groan> !!!

>> This has been a very interesting thread. Looking forward to your
>> comments!

> Yup 1!!! this thread has been a interesting one......
> waiting to be corrected

Me waiting too ;-)

--Shanu