This mail could use help from Khader and Atul,

As everyone in the whole world is now aware that I am having trouble
configuring my video/graphic card. While I have summoned help from
people
who already have this card and are using xf86_SVGA server, I will like
know more about the FBdev revolution. I believe Atul and Khader are
successfully
working with this alternative. Please answer the following quesions.

0.      I have RHL 6.1 with me, complete installation from PCQ CD [run update
script]
        Will I need to download and then install something or have I got FBD
already?
        Please convey HOW to install this graphic server.

1.      The resolutions etc have to be specified at the time of startup
itself and can          not be cycled through as in Xf86, right? [I wish to
stick to 1024x768 24bpp 75              Hz, for the rest of my life]

2.      Is the FBD server accelerated? Does it exploit AGP / 2X capabilities
of the card?
        I am in no condition to buy accelerated servers but I am very
optimistic about                the open-source accelerated servers since reading
that 'newer versions of XFree86         server are about only 15% slower than
accelerated servers from Xi, while earlier      the difference was 20
times'.

3.      Where to get it [If it is not on the CD]? Since I do not have the
access to       internet from my machine in question, I will have to compress
the whole thing and     use floppies for transfer and installation....
spanning through floppies is going
        to be another problem.. so I will need to write to NT partition, boot
the machine
        in NT, join the split/spanned archieve, reboot in Linux/text mode and
then    install the RPM [If it is an rpm].. which is painful and often
failure prone
        [expanding in DOS and then copying in to Linux... and multidisc
spanning]

4.      If the server is small in size, I would LOVE to receive the same by
email. Can it   be done?

This is a long mail, but was necessary considering present circumstances
for me.
Do reply at length guys. If the topic has been discussed in such detail
already, please send in privately.

Regards,
Rohit

LI is all for free speech, but this list was created for a purpose --
to help popularise Linux in India. If your messages are counterproductive
to that purpose, your privileges to submit messages can and will be revoked.