option "noaccel"
option "swcursor"
option "nobitblt"
option "nolinear"

solved this problem for me with my S3 86C362 Trio 3D/2X. I have stock RHL
6.1 PCQ Nov 99.
give them a try.

hth,
Sharukh.

> Thanks to Shanu, I am aware that I own a wonderful piece of hardware
> with me.
> An 8 MB AGP card [S3 Trio 3D / 2x] which is, sob sob, not supported on
> XFree86
> SVGA server supplied with RHL 6.1 [3.3.5-x]. The card seems to have been
> recognized
> as a PCI card, though correctly echoed as S3 trio 3d / 2x by the
> --probeonly option
> of X. The result is N painfullly slow startup, following by hanging of
> the machine.
>
> Has anyone experimented with this card? Does anyone own it? Does anyone
> know which
> version of servers from Xfree86, if at all, supports this card?

LI is all for free speech, but this list was created for a purpose --
to help popularise Linux in India. If your messages are counterproductive
to that purpose, your privileges to submit messages can and will be revoked.