In message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> you wrote:
> Alright, note that at the moment there is no way to invert it except
> with xmodmap. (Since they get mapped as buttons, you can swap them there
> in a trivial fashion.  If you're already swapping because you're left
> handed, it's even easier.)

The six places that an axis can be flipped are:

   1. By the input driver
   2. By the evdev code
   3. By the X evdev driver
   4. By the xmodmap event mapping
   5. By the toolkit
   6. By the application itself

I've seen all but 3 and 5 in various situations in practice.

Five is particularly troublesome, since it's on a per-app
basis, leading to inconsistent bug reports.  Encourage
people to use GIMP when testing, rather than
Firefox/Iceweasel, as the GIMP seems to consistently get it
right and isn't really subject to toolkit troubles.

Somebody probably needs to write a bunch of code that will
look at layers 2-4 and provide a definitive report of what's
going on.  In my copious spare time...

    Bart Massey
    Assoc. Prof. Computer Science
    Portland State University