On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 10:41:06 -0400
Dmitry Torokhov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 10:51:47PM +0100, Jiri Kosina wrote:
> > On Thu, 6 Mar 2008, Kristoffer Ericson wrote:
> >
> > > The general replies I've gotten when asking to change filenames is that
> > > they don't want to break back-portability or whatever. To tell you the
> > > truth im not fully in the clear what they ment. Perhaps that it would be
> > > harder to track changes if the filename changes, or that if changing
> > > names was more allowed it could cause many people to start changing
> > > stuff around.
> >
> > git can track renames, so that shouldn't be a hard issue.
> >
> > > Dmitry will certainly have a better idea.
> >

> The idea there are 2 kind of users. First kind used udev and other
> standard facilities for module loading and this does not care about
> module name.  FOr such user there is no benefit in renaming the module.
>
> The second kind of user (and I am not talking about the ned user) rolls
> out his own startup mechanisms, potentially with statically defined
> module names. Here rename will actually hurt. Thats why I am usually
> against renames unless there is bigger benefit.

The benefit here would be of having similiar naming styles between keyboards
and touchscreens for
the HP Jornadas. Currently neither hp6xx or hp7xx got fully working kernels
using vanilla sources.

A smaller benefit would be for me as maintainer to more easily keep track of
stuff since they are named
jornada<arch>-<hardware> (e.g
jornada7xx-ts/jornada6xx-ts/jornada6xx-kbd/jornada7xx-kbd)

So, what do you say Dmitry?

--
Kristoffer Ericson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>