On 12/11/2015 12:05 AM, David Long wrote:
> There is a moderate amount of code already in kprobes on ARM and the current
> ARMv8 patch to deal with conditional execution of instructions. One aspect of
> how this is handled is that instructions that fail their predicate and are
> not (technically) executed are also not treated as a hit kprobe. Steve Capper
> has suggested that the probe handling should still take place because we
> stepped through the instruction even if it was effectively a nop.  This would
> be a significant change in how it currently works on 32-bit ARM, and a change
> in the patch for ARMv8 (although it's not likely to be much of a change in
> the kernel code).
>
> I need input on this.  Do people have opinions?
>
> -dl

Hi Dave,

Conditionally executing the kprobes would violate the assumptions made for perf
and systemtap collecting data. Even if the instruction is predicated and
treated as a NOP it should still reliably trigger the kprobe.  However, for
efficiency the simulation/emulation/single-step of the instruction could be
skipped if the instruction is known to have no change on the machine state
other than changing the program counter.

-Will Cohen