[resending due to mail client issues]

On Thu, Apr 14, 2016 at 10:48 AM, Vlastimil Babka <vba...@suse.cz> wrote:

> On 04/14/2016 10:05 AM, Vitaly Wool wrote:
>>
>> This patch introduces z3fold, a special purpose allocator for storing
>> compressed pages. It is designed to store up to three compressed pages per
>> physical page. It is a ZBUD derivative which allows for higher compression
>> ratio keeping the simplicity and determinism of its predecessor.
>

> So the obvious question is, why a separate allocator and not extend zbud?

Well, as far as I recall Seth was very much for keeping zbud as simple
as possible. I am fine either way but if we have zpool API, why not
have another zpool API user?

> I didn't study the code, nor notice a design/algorithm overview doc, but it
> seems z3fold keeps the idea of one compressed page at the beginning, one at
> the end of page frame, but it adds another one in the middle? Also how is the
> buddy-matching done?

Basically yes. There is 'start_middle' variable which point to the
start of the middle page, if any. The matching is done basing on the
buddy number.

~vitaly