Daniel,

At 09:23 AM 11/14/00, you wrote:
I reserve the right to make coding errors, thanks for not letting it get
written into history :-)

I'm not going to give up my right to make errors until I'm ready to give up
my keyboard.  I'll probably be pushing up daisies at that point in my life.

How about:

   for ( ... ) if (!isalnum(*p) && !strchr("-_", *p)) return -EINVAL;

I think that is correct.  However, it fails the "easy to understand"
criterion, so I don't like it.]

David