>       Hello Paul & Phil ,  Ouch !,  is this media that loose on the
>       substrate that it leaves that much behind ?  Or is it something
>       else ?  I'd really like to know what the problem is  ,  as I am
>       seriously looking at putting DDS-III & IV 's into my backup
>       schemes .  Tia ,  JimL

Apparently yes - the Compaq manual says that new tapes shed a
lot, and that cleaning has to be more frequent with them.  They
recommend (this is from memory) cleaning the tape drive after
just 6 hours use of a new tape, then less frequently thereafter.

I figured after reading the manual that a weekly clean should
normally suffice.

Phil

Phil