> consider this scenario with your patch:
>
> 1. CPU0 sees a locked val, and is about to do your xchg_relaxed() to set
>    pending.
>
> 2. CPU1 comes in and sets pending, spins on locked
>
> 3. CPU2 sees a pending and locked val, and is about to enter the head of
>    the waitqueue (i.e. it's right before xchg_tail()).
>
> 4. The locked holder unlock()s, CPU1 takes the lock() and then unlock()s
>    it, so pending and locked are now 0.
>
> 5. CPU0 sets pending and reads back zeroes for the other fields
>
> 6. CPU0 clears pending and sets locked -- it now has the lock
>
> 7. CPU2 updates tail, sees it's at the head of the waitqueue and spins
>    for locked and pending to go clear. However, it reads a stale value
>    from step (4) and attempts the atomic_try_cmpxchg() to take the lock.
>
> 8. CPU2 will fail the cmpxchg(), but then go ahead and set locked. At this
>    point we're hosed, because both CPU2 and CPU0 have the lock.

Thanks for pointing this out.   I am wondering: can't we have a similar
scenario with the current code (i.e., w/o these patches): what prevents
the scenario reported below, following Peter's diagram, from happening?

  Andrea

  CPU0          CPU1            CPU2            CPU3

0)                                              lock
                                                  trylock -> (0,0,1)
1)lock
    trylock /* fail */

2)              lock
                  trylock /* fail */
                  fetch_or_acquire -> (0,1,1)
                  wait-locked

3)                              lock
                                  trylock /* fail */
                                  goto queue

4)                                              unlock -> (0,1,0)
                  clr_pnd_set_lck -> (0,0,1)
                  unlock -> (0,0,0)

5)  fetch_or_acquire -> (0,1,0)
6)  clr_pnd_set_lck -> (0,0,1)
7)                                xchg_tail -> (n,0,1)
                                  load_acquire <- (n,0,0) (from-4)
8)                                cmpxchg /* fail */
                                  set_locked()