Give that man a cigar....it was an env var (not LOCALE but LANG). I'd actually checked this but I didn't think that made a difference in my case. Thanks Linus, now can you fix the larger signal 11 problem? --Rainer > [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of Linus Torvalds > I'd guess that the program has a bug, and depending on the arguments and > environment (especially the latter will be different), it shows up or > not. Things like not having a LOCALE set in either case or similar. > > Linus - To unsubscribe from this list: send the line "unsubscribe linux-kernel" in the body of a message to [EMAIL PROTECTED] Please read the FAQ at http://www.tux.org/lkml/