On Fri, Mar 08, 2019 at 07:29:05AM -0800, Stephen Boyd wrote:
> It's mostly about making sure that any existing dtbs don't have their
> numbers shifted around. So hopefully any overlapping identifiers aren't
> in use yet and then those ids can be changed while leaving the ones that
> are in use how they are.

In practice I bet no one uses Linux 5.0's i.MX8M device trees since they
lack too much support.  It's so basic it's not useful.  You'd still run
your existing non-mainline bindings until it is.  Thus I would argue
changing the ABI right now would be the only chance there is.

If you think that chance is gone, then I guess the reasonable thing is
to keep the numbers and only move those (to the end) which overlap.  Or
put them into that erreneous number gap.

Patrick