On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 2:14 AM, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 31, 2019 at 11:07 AM Viresh Kumar <viresh.ku...@linaro.org> wrote:
> >
> > On 31-01-19, 11:03, Rafael J. Wysocki wrote:

> > > What about the extra locking overhead in the scheduler context?
> >
> > What about using READ_ONCE/WRITE_ONCE here ? Not sure if we really
> > need locking in this particular case.
>
> If that works, then fine, but ISTR some synchronization issues related to
> that.

Maybe using READ/WRITE_ONCE for time_in_state is problematic, but is
there any reason why atomics wouldn't work for this? As far as I can
tell, atomics are necessary to protect time_in_state due to its
multi-step add operation, and READ/WRITE_ONCE can be used for last_time
because all operations on it are single-op sets/gets.

I've been using the setup described above on a downstream arm64 4.14
kernel for nearly a year with no issues. I haven't noticed any
significant anomalies in the stats so far. The system in question has 8
CPUs split into 3 cpufreq policies and fast switch is used with the
schedutil governor, so it should be exercising the stats update path
enough.

Sorry for bumping an old thread.