[CCing a few people]

On 24.05.24 12:31, Ilkka Naulapää wrote:

> I have encountered a critical bug in the Linux vanilla kernel that
> leads to a kernel panic during the shutdown or reboot process. The
> issue arises after all services, including `journald`, have been
> stopped. As a result, the machine fails to complete the shutdown or
> reboot procedure, effectively causing the system to hang and not shut
> down or reboot.

Thx for the report. Not my area of expertise, so take this with a gain
of salt. But given the versions your mention in your report and the
screenshot that mentioned tracefs_free_inode I suspect this is caused by
baa23a8d4360d ("tracefs: Reset permissions on remount if permissions are
options"). A few fixes for it will soon hit mainline and are meant to be
backported to affected stable trees:

https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240523212406.254317...@goodmis.org/
https://lore.kernel.org/all/20240523174419.1e588...@gandalf.local.home/

You might want to try them – or recheck once they hit the stable trees
you are about. If they don't work, please report back.

Everything you wanna know about Linux kernel regression tracking:
https://linux-regtracking.leemhuis.info/about/#tldr
If I did something stupid, please tell me, as explained on that page.