On Fri, 24 May 2024 12:50:08 +0200
"Linux regression tracking (Thorsten Leemhuis)" <regressi...@leemhuis.info>
wrote:

> > - Affected Versions: Before kernel version 6.8.10, the bug caused a
> > quick display of a kernel trace dump before the shutdown/reboot
> > completed. Starting from version 6.8.10 and continuing into version
> > 6.9.0 and 6.9.1, this issue has escalated to a kernel panic,
> > preventing the shutdown or reboot from completing and leaving the
> > machine stuck.

Ah, I bet it was this commit: baa23a8d4360d ("tracefs: Reset permissions on
remount if permissions are options"), which added a "iput" callback to the
dentry without calling iput, leaving stale inodes around.

This is fixed with:

  0bcfd9aa4dafa ("tracefs: Clear EVENT_INODE flag in tracefs_drop_inode()")

Try adding just that patch. It will at least make it go back to what was
happening before 6.8.10 (I hope!).

-- Steve