On Wed, Jul 24, 2024 at 05:04:25PM +0000, Sami Tolvanen wrote:
> Hi Luis,
>
> On Thu, Jul 18, 2024 at 5:15 PM Luis Chamberlain <mcg...@kernel.org> wrote:
> >
> > On Tue, Jul 09, 2024 at 12:08:16PM +0200, Miguel Ojeda wrote:

> > > But, yes, I think Rust is a great opportunity to get new
> > > co-maintainers, as well as getting new developers involved with kernel
> > > maintenance in general, which could help with other issues too.
> >
> > Great well then my preference is to not have Rust bindings for modules
> > unless the Rust community can commit to not only a co-maintianer for
> > both C And Rust but also commit to not ditching the role; if a C/Rust
> > co-maintainer gets hits by a bus the Rust community would strive to
> > look for someone else to step in. This would proactively help with
> > upstream responsibilities understood by companies who hire developers
> > in this context. It is why I brought up Andreas's work, I already know
> > he has a lot of work to do and responsibilities. If not Andreas, who else
> > can step up to help with this, Sami?
>
> I agree, having a co-maintainer from the Rust community sounds like a
> good idea. It would be great if someone actually working on the
> bindings could step up, but if there are no other volunteers, I can
> certainly help with this.

Excelent thank you for this, yes we can certainly use your help with
this. After this went out we also had Daniel Gomez express interest, and
Petr Pavlu expressed interest as well. I think with all of us we can
likely grow a strong base to cover both C / Rust side of modules.

I'll send a follow up maintainers patch up for this and we can move on
forward with review / future integration of Rust module code.

  Luis