I just ran netscape which for some reason or another went totally
whacky and gobbled RAM.  It has done this before and made the box
totally unuseable in 2.2.17-2.2.19 befor the kernel killed 90% of
my running apps before getting the right one.  This time, it
OOM'd and killed Netscape and I got control back instantly.  This
is with 2.4.2.  I hope this is a good sign!