On 09/16/2014 08:59 AM, Peter Zijlstra wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 16, 2014 at 08:44:03AM +0200, Ingo Molnar wrote:
>> Note that that's not really a 'NUMA node' in the way lots of
>> places in the kernel assume it: permanent placement assymetry
>> (and access cost assymetry) of RAM.
>
> Agreed, that is not NUMA, both groups will have the exact same local
> DRAM latency (unlike the AMD thing which has two memory busses on the
> single package, and therefore really has two nodes on a single chip).

I don't think this is correct.

>From my testing, each ring of CPUs has a "close" and "far" memory
controller in the socket.

> This also means the CoD thing sets up the NUMA masks incorrectly.

I used this publicly-available Intel tool:

https://software.intel.com/en-us/articles/intelr-memory-latency-checker

And ran various combinations pinning the latency checker to various CPUs
and NUMA nodes.

Here's what I think the SLIT table should look like with cluster-on-die
disabled.  There is one node per socket and the latency to the other
node is 1.5x the latency to the local node:

*      0     1
0     10    15
1     15    10

or, measured in ns:
*      0     1
0     76   119
1    114    76

Enabling cluster-on-die, we get 4 nodes.  The local memory in thesame
socket gets faster, and remote memory in the same socket gets both
absolutely and relatively slower:

*      0     1     2     3
0     10    20    26    26
1     20    10    26    26
2     26    26    10    20
3     26    26    20    10

and in ns:
*      0     1     2     3
0   74.8 152.3 190.6 200.4
1  146.2  75.6 190.8 200.6
2  185.1 195.5  74.5 150.1
3  186.6 195.6 147.3  75.6

So I think it really is reasonable to say that there are 2 NUMA nodes in
a socket.

BTW, these numbers are only approximate.  They were not run under
particularly controlled conditions and I don't even remember what kernel
they were under.