Hi Finn,

Am 12.11.18 um 17:34 schrieb Finn Thain:
> On Mon, 12 Nov 2018, Michael Schmitz wrote:
>
>> That's ultimately for Geert to decide - I'll yet have to look at your
>> mac patches to even get a vague idea what this conversion involves, but
>> I can certainly test whatever you came up with for Mac on Atari.
>>
> Thanks. I'll send out the latest patches for people to test.
Thanks - I just had a look at the Atari clocksource implementation and
it looks fine to me. I'm wondering if disabling interrupts really is
required when updating the ticks counter in mfp_timer_handler, or
whether READ_ONCE() and WRITE_ONCE() would work as well.

Note that there's a mfptimer_handler() in arch/m68k/atari/ataints.c
already (timer D, for polling interrupt-less hardware - I used to have
patches to adjust the rate of that timer at runtime...). Might be best
to rename the two (mfp_timerc_handler(), mfp_timerd_handler()) for
clarity. Or hook that timer function into the generic clocksource timer.

>> Tick granularity is 40 us at best on Atari with the current timer
>> configuration, and can't be increased without increasing HZ. I suspect
>> the limitations on Mac are similar?
>>
> If I understand correctly, removing arch_gettimeoffset without adding a
> clocksource would reduce timer accuracy to 10 ms regardless of platform
> (because that's what the default jiffies clocksource offers).
That's my understanding. I now see that we could quite easily change the
timer C divisor to 10 while retaining the timer C data (246) and obtain
a clocksource rate of 2500. Setting that in the clocksource 'rating'
field will keep the scheduling timer at 100 Hz, is that correct?

With only the timer C interrupt running at increased rate, I don't think
the impact on the system would be all that severe.

Cheers,

    Michael