On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 10:29:25PM +0200, H. Langos wrote:

> the next step would be to update the mediwiki software to 1.11.1 if you have
> $wgEnableAPI = true, that is. (i know it is only a XSS that hits internet
> explorer users ..  but hey, they are people, too ;-)

I will update to 1.14.0. This is the current version, and it is
also used by wiki.kernel.org (there is a secret plan to eventually
move the wiki there). And all the shiny new anti-spam extensions
don't seem to work with 1.11 anymore...

> if i remember right, the linuxtv wiki only allows editing to registered
> users. therefore you could simply temporarily disable new user registration
> and enable editing again for registered users.

I will do the update first.

> then i'd suggest installing the reCAPTCHA extention. not only will it
> prevent bots from registering, you also help to digitize old books.
>
> http://recaptcha.net/plugins/mediawiki/

Looked at that and noticed they don't provide any statement
regarding confidentiality / data protection. Who knows if
they aren't creating a huge database of who did what in Wikis
and Blogs around the net...

Besides that, this wouldn't have stopped the present attack
since the bot used does a manual login assisted by a human user.
To thwart that I'd have to enable the captcha for every page save...

Johannes