Hi Shuah,

On Thursday 15 Dec 2016 07:56:55 Shuah Khan wrote:
> On 12/15/2016 03:39 AM, Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> > On Tuesday 13 Dec 2016 15:23:53 Shuah Khan wrote:

[snip]

> >> Please don't pursue this RFC series that makes mc-core changes until
> >> ompa3 driver problems are addressed. There is no need to change the
> >> core unless it is necessary.
> >
> > It is necessary as has been explained countless times, and will become
> > more and more necessary as media_device instances get shared between
> > multiple drivers, which is currently attempted *without* reference
> > counting.
>
> You are probably forgetting the Media Device Allocator API work I did
> to make media_device sharable across media and audio drivers.

I haven't. How could I forget it ? :-) Media device sharing is important, and
will become even more so in the future.

> Sakari's patches don't address the sharable need.

That's correct.

> I have been asking Sakari to use Media Device Allocator API in his patch
> series for allocating media device.

That's where I disagree. The more we dig the more we realize that the current
infrastructure is broken. Adding anything on top of a construction that is on
the verge of collapsing isn't a good idea until the foundations have been
fixed and consolidated.

> I discussed the conflicts between the work I am doing and Sakari's series
> to find a common ground. But it doesn't look like we are going to get there.

Laurent Pinchart