On Mon, Dec 21, 2009 at 3:09 PM, Robert Longfield
<robert.longfi...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Well it gets even better.
> So on the weekend I was able to steal a few minutes to properly
> trouble shoot the issue now that I know it was in the mythbuntu box.
> As a long shot I pulled out the Promise Tech Ultra133 TX2 / ATA card I
> am using for the backup drive. With this card removed the sync issue
> went away, when I put the card back in the issue returned. Now this
> card was in the slot right next to the PVR-150 card. I moved the
> controller card as far away as I could get from the PVR-150 and the
> sync issue was gone.
>
> So it would appear that the Promise Tech card was causing some EM
> interference with the PVR-150 card. I will keep an eye on this to make
> sure that this was indeed the issue.
>
> Does it seem reasonable that this card would kick out interference like this?

Having worked at a lab that did EMI compliance testing, I can
definitely tell some stories of cases far stranger than that.  But
yeah, if the card works in a different slot, then it's unlikely any
sort of PCI bus congestion issue but rather an EMI problem.

Devin

--
Devin J. Heitmueller - Kernel Labs
http://www.kernellabs.com