Hi Mauro,

On Wednesday 04 August 2010 17:38:04 Mauro Carvalho Chehab wrote:
> Em 04-08-2010 09:46, Laurent Pinchart escreveu:
> > On Monday 12 July 2010 17:25:45 Laurent Pinchart wrote:
> >> Hi everybody,
> >>
> >> Here's the third version of the V4L2 subdev userspace API patches.
> >> Comments received on the first and second versions have been
> >> incorporated, including the video_usercopy usage. The generic ioctls
> >> support patch has been dropped and will be resubmitted later with a use
> >> case.
> >
> > Mauro, is there a chance those patches could get in 2.6.36 ?
>
> Unfortunately, the changes are not high.
>
> I still have lots of patches ready to merge that I received before the
> start of the merge window waiting for me to handle. As you know, we should
> first send the patches to linux-next, and wait for a while, before sending
> them upstream. I won't doubt that this time, we'll have only a 7-days
> window before -rc1.
>
> There are also some other dead lines for this week, including the review of
> LPC proposals.
>
> Finally, one requirement for merging API additions is to have a driver
> using it. In the past, we had bad experiences of adding things at the
> kernel API, but waiting for a very long time for a kernel driver using it,
> as the ones that pushed hard for adding the new API's didn't submitted
> their drivers timely (on some cased it ended by having a driver using the
> new API's several kernel versions later). So, even considering that subdev
> API is ready, we still need to wait for drivers needing it to be
> submitted. So, the better is to analyse and apply it after the end of the
> merge window, on a separate branch, merging it at the main branch after
> receiving a driver needing the new API.

OK, understood.

I would still like to get your comments on the patches, if any. Hans has acked
them, and I'd like to make sure you're fine with them as well before pushing
them internally (the less I break the API/ABI, the better for our userspace
developers :-)). I will then keep the patches up-to-date with the mainline
kernel until the OMAP3 ISP driver (and the media controller) is ready for
submission.

Laurent Pinchart