With my newly hacked lirc_zilog, try using the 'tx_only' parameter please.
It's not quite ready yet, but I'd like to know if it can bind.

If you already loaded a lirc_zilog without my latest patches, the i2c subsystem
might have bogus crud still registered.  A reboot might be needed for a valid
test.

R,
Andy