On Jan 15, 2011, at 4:56 PM, Andy Walls wrote:

>> Okay, last spam before I head off to bed... :)
>>
>> I can get ir-kbd-i2c behavior to pretty much match lirc_zilog wrt key repeat,
>> by simply setting init_data->polling_interval = 260; in hdpvr-i2c.c, which
>> matches up with the delay in lirc_zilog. With the 260 interval:
>
> RC-5 has a repetition interval of about 4096/36kHz = 113.8 ms, IIRC.
>
> Using 260 ms, you are throwing away one repeat from the remote for sure,
> maybe two.

Yep. From lirc_zilog:

/*
 * This is ~113*2 + 24 + jitter (2*repeat gap +
 * code length).  We use this interval as the chip
 * resets every time you poll it (bad!).  This is
 * therefore just sufficient to catch all of the
 * button presses.  It makes the remote much more
 * responsive.  You can see the difference by
 * running irw and holding down a button.  With
 * 100ms, the old polling interval, you'll notice
 * breaks in the repeat sequence corresponding to
 * lost keypresses.
 */

But as noted previously, even that doesn't result in correct behavior from
lircd/irw's standpoint.

> Maybe that will help you understand what may be going on.
> (I've lost the bubble on hdpvr with ir-kbd-i2c.)

Not yet. After reading that comment in the code, I'd actually though that
something in the 113 to 130 range might actually be the ticket. I still
think that's probably correct, but it didn't make the wacky repeats stop,
so I think I need to instrument lirc_zilog and/or ir-kbd-i2c a bit more to
get a better idea what's going on.

Oh, and while drifting off to sleep last night, I think I came upon an
explanation for why things behave as they do with that 260ms interval. The
rc_keydown() call has an automatic key release after 250ms.

--
Jarod Wilson
ja...@wilsonet.com