On Mon, Feb 28, 2011 at 12:20:52PM +0100, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> > > Sorry, not sure what you mean. Do you mean different APIs when the flash
> > > is controlled directly by the sensor and by an external controller? No, of
> > > course we need one API, but you either issue those ioctl()s to the sensor
> > > (sub)device, or to the dedicated flash (sub)device. If you mean my "minor
> > > subset" above, then I was trying to say, that this is a basis, that has to
> > > be extended, but not, that we will develop a new API for more complicated
> > > cases.
> >
> > I think I misunderstood you originally, sorry. I should have properly read
> > the
> > RFC. :-)
> >
> > Your proposal of the flash mode is good, but what about software strobe (a
> > little more on that below)?
> >
> > Also, what about making this a V4L2 control instead?
>
> These are two things, I think: first we have to decide which functions we
> need, second - how to implement them. Sure, controls are also a
> possibility.

Agreed.

> > > Hm, I am not sure I understand, why sensors with DSPs in them should have
> > > no notion of a snapshot mode. Do they have no strobe / trigger pins? And
> > > no built in possibility to synchronize with a flash?
> >
> > I was referring to ISPs such as the OMAP 3 ISP. Some hardware have a flash
> > strobe pin while some doesn't (such as the N900).
>
> Of course, if no flash is present, you don't have to support it;)

There is flash but no hardware flash strobe. Ok? :-)

> > Still, even if the strobe pin is missing it should be possible to allow
> > strobing the flash by using software strobe (usually an I2C message).
> >
> > I agree using a hardware strobe is much much better if it's available.
>
> Again - don't understand. Above (i2c message) you're referring to the
> sensor. But I don't think toggling the flash on per-frame basis from

I'm referring to the flash controller, not the sensor. They're often
controlled using the I2C bus.

> software via the sensor makes much sense. That way you could also just
> wire your flash to a GPIO. The main advantage of a sensor-controlled flash
> is, that is toggles the flash automatically, synchronised with its image
> read-out. You would, however, toggle the flash manually, if you just

This is very true but unfortunately not all hardware has separate flash
strobe signal.

> wanted to turn it on permanently (torch-mode).

Not quite. There are use cases for the torch mode (an application called
Torch, for example).

In case the hardware strobe is absent the flash must be strobed using
software. This means that the user has to be better aware of the sensor
pixel area exposure timing than otherwise would be necessary.

> > > I am open to this. I don't have a good idea of whether camera hosts have
> > > to know about the snapshot mode or not. It's open for discussion.
> >
> > What functionality would the snapshot mode provide? Flash synchronisation?
> > Something else?
>
> Also pre-defined number of images, enabling of the trigger pin and trigger
> i2c command. Just noticed - on mt9t031 and mt9v022 the snapshot mode also
> enables externally controlled exposure...

Is the externally controlled exposure somehow essentially different from
just sending new esposure settings to the sensor via I2C?

> > I have to admit I don't know of any hardware which would recognise a concept
> > of "snapshot". Do you have a smart sensor which does this, for example? The
> > only hardware support for the flash use I know of is the flash strobe
> > signal.
>
> Several Aptina / Micron sensors have such a mode, e.g., mt9p031, mt9t031,
> mt9v022, mt9m001, also ov7725 from OmniVision (there it's called a "Single
> frame" mode), and, I presume, many others. And no, those are not some
> "smart" sensors, the ones from Aptina are pretty primitive Bayer /
> monochrome cameras.

Are there use cases for such modes? I mean, are there such use for these
modes which cannot be done using the regular streaming mode?

> > Flash synchronisation is indeed an issue, and how to tell that a given frame
> > has been exposed with flash. The use of flash is just one of the parameters
> > which would be nice to connect to frames, though.
>
> Hm, yes, that's something to think about too...

One of the many things. :-) :-)

Best regards,

--
Sakari Ailus