I don't know what it really is either but the comments are the following.

if (frequency > 300000000)
{

        printk("  %s : Tuner :FC0012 V-band (GPIO6 high)\n", __FUNCTION__);

}
else
{
        printk("  %s : Tuner :FC0012 U-band (GPIO6 low)\n", __FUNCTION__);
}

I looked into both mechanisms but can't really decide which one would
be the best one for this. What is the correct ioctl constant to listen
for or do I define an own constant? And how is the ioctl command
issued within the demod driver?

Thomas