Em Sat, 13 Apr 2013 16:15:39 +0300
Antti Palosaari <cr...@iki.fi> escreveu:

> On 04/13/2013 12:48 PM, Frank Schäfer wrote:
> > Patch 1 removes the unneeded and broken gpio register caching code.
> > Patch 2 adds the gpio register defintions for the em25xx/em276x/7x/8x
> > and patch 3 finally adds a new helper function for gpio ports with separate
> > registers for read and write access.
>

> I have nothing to say directly about those patches - they looked good at
> the quick check. But I wonder if you have any idea if it is possible to
> use some existing Kernel GPIO functionality in order to provide standard
> interface (interface like I2C). I did some work last summer in order to
> use GPIOLIB and it is used between em28xx-dvb and cxd2820r for LNA
> control. Anyhow, I was a little bit disappointed as GPIOLIB is disabled
> by default and due to that there is macros to disable LNA when GPIOLIB
> is not compiled.
> I noticed recently there is some ongoing development for Kernel GPIO. I
> haven't looked yet if it makes use of GPIO interface more common...

I have conflicting opinions myself weather we should use gpiolib or not.

I don't mind with the fact that GPIOLIB is disabled by default. If all
media drivers start depending on it, distros will enable it to keep
media support on it.

I never took the time to take a look on what methods gpiolib provides.
Maybe it will bring some benefits. I dunno.

Just looking at the existing drivers (almost all has some sort of GPIO
config), GPIO is just a single register bitmask read/write. Most drivers
need already bitmask read/write operations. So, in principle, I can't
foresee any code simplification by using a library.

Also, from a very pragmatic view, changing (almost) all existing drivers
to use gpiolib is a big effort.

However, for that to happen, one question should be answered: what
benefits would be obtained by using gpiolib?

Regards,
Mauro