On Wed, 2014-01-01 at 14:46 -0500, Devin Heitmueller wrote:
> On Wed, Jan 1, 2014 at 2:41 PM, Andy <dssnos...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I am trying to stream /dev/video0 to http and encode it in h.264.
>
> Last I checked, the ffmpeg v4l2 input interface is just for raw video.
>  What you probably want to do is just use v4l2-ctl to setup the tuner
> appropriately, and then pass in /dev/video0 as a standard filehandle
> to ffmpeg (i.e. "-i /dev/video0").

To obtain uncompressed video and audio from the ivtv driver and the
PVR-150:

uncompressed video is available from /dev/video32 in an odd Conexant
macroblock format that is called 'HM12' under linux.

raw PCM audio samples are available from /dev/video24

Note that /dev/video0 is always MPEG-2 compressed video.

I assume ffmpeg and mencoder can transcode from MPEG-2 PS to H.264 on
the fly, however, they will consume more CPU to do the decompression of
the MPEG-2 PS.  The advantage of working with the MPEG-2 PS as the
source is that one avoids the audio & video synchronization problem one
might encounter working with the separate uncompressed audio & video
streams.

Regards,
Andy