Linux-Misc Digest #483, Volume #18                Tue, 5 Jan 99 22:13:08 EST

Contents:
  Re: Apache with ASP (Paschal Nee)
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD (David Damerell)
  Re: new man pages install (J.M. Paden)
  Re: 2038 and Linux (Matthias Warkus)
  Re: Best Free Unix? (why Pentium Pro?) (Bill Vermillion)
  Re: Why is GNOME not called a window manager? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Souce for date routine ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: what are hardlinks for? (Frank Sweetser)
  Re: Enterprise Resource Planning RFC (Joel Crisp)
  Re: Lexmark Printer (David Fox)
  HELP! Lost mouse support in X! ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Can't use SUSE Help System (Klaus Staerk)
  Quotas ("Jay D Ribak")
  How good is X support for Graphics Blaster Exxtreme? (Sean Gilley,0B206,,2336)
  Fast/Quick Steps to Re-compile the Linux Kernel (aldev)
  rpm questions (ag)
  Re: 32 bit / 64 bit performance issues (Matt Dillon)
  Re: Whats the best *offline* usenet reader for Linux? (Christopher Browne)
  Apache & Perl Help (hcsthl)
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Install problem - Redhat Linux on Maxtor HD (Jeff Grossman)
  Configure Kernel for Oracle? (Henry Zheng (C))
  Re: Emacs! Re: Easy UNIX editor (Kevin Martin)
  Re: Concentric.net Connection (Dan Hogan)
  C Compiler Internals, Libraries, assembler etc. (INZTRUKT)
  /var/log/messages & 2.2.0-pre1 (Bill)
  How to edit /etc/fstab to mount cdrom automatically? ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Apache & Perl Help (Paul Griffiths)

From: Paschal Nee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Apache with ASP
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 15:55:43 +0000

It's not what you want but it's a step in that direction.
http://www.chillisoft.com/News/Apache101398.asp

Mark Robinson wrote:

> I have Apache-1.3.3 and would like to know how to enable ASP suppport?

  Gradient Solutions,
  Unit 6, Dundrum Business Park,
  Dundrum Rd., Dublin 14,
  Ireland
  Web http://www.gradient.ie
  Tel +353-1-296-4567
  Fax +353-1-296-4569

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Damerell)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux FUD
Date: 05 Jan 1999 17:56:27 +0000 (GMT)

Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>David Damerell <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>>Traceroute is supposed to be in /usr/bin, not in an sbin directory.
>>You've said this already. I don't see that saying it again adds anything -
>>particularly when I agree with you.
>It is difficult to determine what you agree or disagree with from your
>statement, or that you understood the significance of my statement.

OK; I agree with you that the FSSTND says that traceroute belongs in
/usr/bin, and that it should go there. I am not sure about normal users
having sbin directories in the PATH.

>>>What "normal" user needs any of those?  The *definition* of a "normal"
>>>user is that they don't need the system admin tools because the do not
>>>do system admin work.
>>Knowing your system's IP address is not 'system admin' work; and nor is
>>being a trusted home user with access to the floppy drive.
>Having sbin directories in a normal users path is not required in
>order for a normal user to know the system's IP address.

What's a better way to do it than 'ifconfig', then?

>However,
>I would question that  a normal user needs to know it anyway...
>None of the examples you give require sbin in the path.

mkdosfs is in an sbin directory.

>>[By this, I refer to someone who obviously could have root if they wanted
>>it, but is a housemate or family member or suchlike who doesn't want or
>>need it; such a person may have a user account with privileges which
>>equate to being root.]
>But that is NOT a "normal" user

On a home system - where an increasing proportion of Linux users are -
that is a normal user. _Anyone_ with physical access to the box can give
themselves rootly powers if they want to (no, setting the boot order to
C,A and a BIOS password is not enough); any housemate or relative is just
as I described above, and it may well be 'normal' for these normal users
to have floppy access, since they must neccessarily be trusted anyway.
--
David/Kirsty Damerell.                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]
CUWoCS President.  http://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~damerell/   Hail Eris!

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (J.M. Paden)
Subject: Re: new man pages install
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 15:56:28 GMT

Philip Denny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>I'm running Slakware 3.1 and can't access any man pages so presume I
>didn't install them. I can't find them in any disk sets so I downloaded
>the latest from LDP. I now have a tar.gz file and don't know where to
>copy it to or unzip it.

The location is somewhat a matter of choice, but many people put files
that don't come in the distribution in /usr/local.

cp <name of file>.tar.gz /usr/local/src
cd /usr/local/src
gzip -d *.tar.gz
tar -xvf *.tar
rm *.tar
cd man-pages-<some number>
make
cd ..
rm -r man-pages<some number>

 "The last temptation is the greatest treason:
  To do the right deed for the wrong reason."
  --T.S. Eliot

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matthias Warkus)
Subject: Re: 2038 and Linux
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 13:23:37 +0100

It was the Mon, 04 Jan 1999 22:55:21 -0500...
..and Vince Conaway <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Does Linux have the 2038 bug that will make Unix machines start to go
> nuts around that time?

Yes, in theory. Can be fixed, though, by declaring time_t to be a 64 bit
integer and recompiling everything. Shouldn't be too hard to do with an
open-source OS running open-source software.

mawa
--
Matthias Warkus    |    [EMAIL PROTECTED]    |    Dyson Spheres for sale!
My Geek Code is no longer in my .signature. It's available on e-mail request.

comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Bill Vermillion)
Subject: Re: Best Free Unix? (why Pentium Pro?)
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 15:44:33 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
Andrew Comech  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>Victor Wagner @ home wrote:

>> Pentium Pro CPU (much better than anything else ...)

>I've got K6-2 333 (running cool at 350=100x3.5 without
>the voltage increase) on FIC 2013 (1MB cache), and this
>combination was below $200 in November.
>Not a single trouble under Debian 2.0.

No one said it wouldn't work on the other chips, it is just that up
until this fall iNTEL had no chips they designated as 'server'
chips except the Pentium Pro.   The design, the internal CPU cache
that runs at chip speed, etc., made it more of a performer in many
applications than much of the PII line.  The iNTEL Xeon is the
replacement for the Pentium Pro and uses much of the same P6 style
architecture.

--
Bill Vermillion   bv @ wjv.com

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Why is GNOME not called a window manager?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 23:43:04 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Shalu1) wrote:
> Silly question, I know, but please enlighten me.
> Is it because it runs on "top" of X11?
> Thanks

X11 is a library which implements windowing mechanism. Since
all things portable run on X11, your thesis cannot be valid.

Gnome is a windows manager, the apps, and the policies. It is
more than a window manager. Perhaps it is also a way of life.
Perhaps that is the reason why the Gnome people tend not to
want to explain it too much.

BTW, is not a silly question. It is the path to the truth.

Kal

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Souce for date routine
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 17:01:02 GMT

Can anyone point me to where I can find the source for the date routine?

From: Frank Sweetser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: what are hardlinks for?
Date: 05 Jan 1999 19:46:36 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Juergen Heinzl) writes:

> >> To be honest ... I've never been really in need of them, but I prefer them
> >> at times for see above reasons and for instance all my man pages are
> >> installed that way (no .so), but someone ought to know better.
> >
> ><G>... take away all the hard links you're currently using, and you won't
> >have much of a file system left.  see my other post for my fuller
> >explanation.
>
> Oh, I did not mean *that* hard links but the ones you (I too) create via
> ln before breakfast ...

exactly - they're the same thing.  there soft links, and there are hard
links, and hard links *are* files.

> >btw, the .so is simply a file extension commonly used to indicate an ELF
> >shared library (stands for shared object), and has nothing to do with
> >symlinks.
> ... neither that, but ...
>
> .so man1/foo.1
>
> ... say the .so directive for nroff. Try ls -l in one of the man
> directories and take a look into the smaller files. Sorry for the
> confusion but if you never wrote a man page yourself ... not much
> you've missed so far ... and BTW, I do *not* do it by hand but use
> a Perl script.

ah, thought you were referring to file extensions....

--
Frank Sweetser rasmusin at wpi.edu fsweetser at blee.net  | PGP key available
paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2 kernel 2.2.0pre3    i586 | at public servers

------------------------------

From: Joel Crisp <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Enterprise Resource Planning RFC
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 17:19:04 +0000

Hi

If you do this, please consider implementing it in JAVA so that it will run on
a wide
range of platforms....

Joel Crisp, Java Consultant, SUN Microsystems

------------------------------

From: d s f o x @ c o g s c i . u c s d . e d u (David Fox)
Subject: Re: Lexmark Printer
Date: 05 Jan 1999 17:05:28 -0800

Joao Filipe Galamba <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

>  Hi.
>  I have a Lexmark 7000 printer wich refuses to print under Linux. I took
>
>  the same procedures to install it as I did with my HP660c,  wich, by
> the way,
>  works just fine in Linux.  What should be the problem (drivers perhaps
> ...) ?

I believe it is Lexmark's policy to withhold the programming
information necessary to create Linux drivers.
--
David Fox           http://hci.ucsd.edu/dsf             xoF divaD
UCSD HCI Lab                                         baL ICH DSCU

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: HELP! Lost mouse support in X!
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 17:36:36 GMT

My Linux box (RH5.2) is currently stuck in X without
mouse support, and I do not currently have anything
onscreen except the configurator box. How can I exit
X? I can get to another virtual console, is there an
elegant way to stop X from there?

Thanks in advance
One-more-newbie

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Klaus Staerk)
Subject: Can't use SUSE Help System
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:46:38 +0100

Hi,
I'm working with SUSE Linux 5.4 and want to use the SUSE online HELP
System from X Windows. When started from X the netscape browser opens
showing a index of the SUSE help. So far everything seem to be ok.
When I try to follow a hypertext link to any help item I get the
error message: "Netscape's network connection was refused by the server
localhost6711 ...".
What is the problem. What do I need to do to get the HELP system
working.
Thanks from Stuttgart, BaWü

------------------------------

From: "Jay D Ribak" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.questions
Subject: Quotas
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 12:47:50 -0500

Hi,
    I have successfully setup quotas on my system.  I have edited quotas for
a few test users.   As those users I have exceeded the soft quotas and hit
the hard quotas.   It gave the user the proper warnings in those cases (i.e.
user quota exceeded and such).   Repquota presents the proper info about
those users when I run it.   The only thing that ISN'T working is the user
'quota' command.  When I run the command as one of the users, it says User
quotas for username (uid xxx): none.   Obviously this is false, as there IS
a quota and the quota has even been exceeded.   I would like to implement
quotas for users, but the whole system is useless to me if the end user
cannot check their quotas on their own.

    According to the quota mini-HOWTO (which makes no mention of the
end-user aspect), a reboot is necessary after enabling quotas.   I enabled
the quotas and never rebooted.  The system seems to have no problems with me
adding quotas to users and it has no problems notifying users that their
quotas are exceeded (when it actually happens), so I am curious as to
whether a reboot is really needed to do this.   I don't want to do a reboot
just to see if this fixes the problem.  This system has been up for about
100 days now, and is a mission critical machine.   Rebooting it (at any hour
of the day) is not really an option for a non-critical problem.

    Anyone have any hints, tips, or ideas?

Thanks
Jay Ribak

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Sean Gilley,0B206,,2336)
Subject: How good is X support for Graphics Blaster Exxtreme?
Date: 6 Jan 1999 00:31:42 GMT

I recently picked up a Graphics Blaster Exxtreme to put on my son's
computer.  It doesn't work there, but that's not the issue.

I'm running a Diamond Stealth II, which is supported, but the server is
still very slow.  I've checked, and yes the Exxtreme is supported, but
I can't seem to figure out how well.  Is it still alpha/beta, or is it
considered truly supported?  I don't need massive amounts of speed, but
I'd like opaque window moves and scrolling within windows to have no
noticable delays.  Is it okay in that respect?  Anything else I should
know?

Thanks,

Sean.

------------------------------

From: aldev <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.questions,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Fast/Quick Steps to Re-compile the Linux Kernel
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 18:02:12 +0000

This will be very useful for new-comers to Linux.

Please visit and bookmark & suggest this site to one and ALL

This site has :-
    Linux Quick Install Instructions
    Microsoft-Linux Analogy Sheet
    Quick Steps to Recompile the Linux KERNEL

Main site is at -
          http://members.spree.com/technology/aldev/
Mirror sites are at -
           http://aldev.webjump.com
           http://homepages.infoseek.com/~aldev1/index.html
           http://aldev.  8m.  com   (remove spaces in-between)

al dev

------------------------------

From: ag <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: rpm questions
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 10:54:35 -0600

Hi All,

I downloaded 2 rpm's for the Sybase database (~40 meg).  When I invoked
rpm to install, I get "Error: Sybase....rpm cannot be installed".  I
tried the -K switch and both of the rpm's fail.  I looked in the rpm
docs for a decision tree - but no luck.  Is there a method I can use to
find out the exact "cause of death"??

One other thing - I've noted that some rpm's don't install applications
in the original directories specified by the authors (ie postgres).  Is
there a Redhat specification designating the install directories -- or
are people building rpm's to their own whims?

Any insights appreciated....

Andrew

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Matt Dillon)
Crossposted-To:
comp.unix.questions,comp.unix.advocacy,comp.unix.misc,comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: Re: 32 bit / 64 bit performance issues
Date: 5 Jan 1999 17:31:42 -0800

:In article <76tkuu$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
:Alexander Viro <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>In article <76pgkq$26a$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Matt Dillon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
:>>:>there's work on implementing full metadata and data journaling support for
:>>:>e2fs under linux.
:>>
:>>    I sure hope they aren't bother with journaling - journaling has been shown
:>>    to have serious performance problems.  It's why FreeBSD finally dropped
:>>    LFS and why softupdates was developed for UFS/FFS.   Journaling is a good
:>>    tool for transactional database support, but a disaster in a filesystem
:>>    implementation.
:>
:>      Maybe... Anyway, there is some pretty alpha code around softupdates
:>for ext2 and friends. Don't expect it before 2.3. Right now Linux VFS is in
:>somewhat messy state and adding anything until the full cleanup would be
:>*painful*.  And yes, there are folks (me included) doing said cleanup. BTW,
:>slightly modified s-u can be extended to data without big lossage.
:>
:>>    But the corrupted file will never contain data from some other file, and
:>>    directories will never be corrupted at all despite renames, removes,
:>                                                      ^^^^^^^
:>      Oh? Oughtta reread this part of Kirk's code. I got an impression
:>that you can get a lot of mess with rename(), no matter what. Could you
:>elaborate?
:>                                                      Al

    There are no specific negative comments in the current softupdates code
    under FreeBSD regarding the rename function that I can find.  The
    delete/create interlock and rollback appears to be implemented.

                                                -Matt

--
    Matthew Dillon  Engineering, HiWay Technologies, Inc. & BEST Internet
                    Communications

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher Browne)
Crossposted-To: news.software.readers
Subject: Re: Whats the best *offline* usenet reader for Linux?
Date: 6 Jan 1999 02:06:21 GMT

On 5 Jan 1999 09:10:17 GMT, Ben Sykes <ben*nospam*@shell.bensykes.com> wrote:
>On Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:39:39 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED]
><[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>>None, you need to use a combination of local NNTP server + newsreader for the
>>above task. If you're on a single user machine, you may try leafnode + your
>>favourate newsreader (for me, I'm using slrn). Leafnode works just like
>>FreeAgent.. For me, I'm getting my feeds thru' UUCP + NNTP (using 'suck') and
>>running INND on my notebook and INND sucking 6% of my 64Meg RAM (did 'expire'
>>everyday, otherwise it will take like 10% of my memory space).
>
>Acutally, the latest SLRN does have a feature that you can compile in that
>gives it an offline mode. I've never used it, but I'd be intersted to hear
>from people that have.

What you can "compile in" is the ability for SLRN to read news spools
(in a format remarkably similar to what C-News generates).  News readers
have long provided this ability, since long before there was NNTP.

The main chunk of code associated with this "feature" is a separate
program called "slrnpull," which is essentially a stripped-down
alternative to C-News.  It takes a list of newsgroups (along with some
parameter information on how long to keep articles and how many to
read), heads off to an NNTP server, and pulls the articles into that
"C-News-like" spool.  And pushes back any followup/reply articles.

It's pretty fast, and works quite well.

The one significant inadequacy I find with slrnpull is that it is really
only targeted at talking to a single news server.  I have access to two
news servers, and would like to "fold together" their feeds; slrnpull
doesn't seem to be up to doing that.  I probably ought to put in a
request for this sort of functionality at the
<http://visar.csustan.edu/bazaar/bazaar.html> Free Software Bazaar; I
doubt that I'm the only one who could use this...

--
M$ is for people who want a half-way implementation of yesterday's
ideas tomorrow.

------------------------------

From: hcsthl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Apache & Perl Help
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 10:05:21 +0800

I have installed Apache v1.2.6 with Perl v5.004_04.
Have tried running a simple perl script from the command line and the
perl script works fine.
However, when trying it out on Apache, an error message appears saying
something about misconfiguration or something wrong with the Perl
engine. Have tried adding and changing parameters in the "conf" files
and nothing seems to work. I'm assuming I'm doing the wrong thing - i.e.
the configuration. So can anyone help? Can anyone tell me what settings
that I need to set in the "conf" files setting to get Perl to work? Been
trying to get this running for the past week or so.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 05 Jan 1999 18:49:19 +0000

Followups set.

Matthew Kirkwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
> On 5 Jan 1999, David Damerell wrote:
>> Floyd Davidson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>> Having sbin directories in a normal users path is not required in
>>> order for a normal user to know the system's IP address.
>> What's a better way to do it than 'ifconfig', then?
> host `hostname`
> ?

`ifconfig' will tell you the IP address on each of your interfaces,
while `host' will tell you the all IP addresses that your hostname
maps to in the DNS, which isn't the same thing and isn't really the
right thing.

So `host' is not even as good as ifconfig, never mind better.

--
http://www.greenend.org.uk/rjk/

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Grossman)
Subject: Re: Install problem - Redhat Linux on Maxtor HD
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 01:58:53 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>I am trying to install Redhat Linux 5.2 for the first time on my box. I have
>two  Maxtor HD.  One is 1.6GB and the second is 7.0GB EIDE.  Due to the
>limitation in the BIOS.  I am able to use only 2GB of the 7.0GB. When, I
>tried to install Redhat Linux, the machine hangs after this following
>section:
>
>hdb: hdb: dma_intr: Status =0x59 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest Error }
>hdb: dma_intr error=0x04 { DriveStatus Error }
>
>It goes through fine for the 1.6GB (hda)
>Model of 7.0GB : Maxtor EIDE 90720D5 (Ultra DMA Mode 2)

I am getting the same exact error.  Please let me know of the answer
also.

Thanks,
Jeff
---
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: hzheng@PROBLEM_WITH_INEWS_GATEWAY_FILE (Henry Zheng (C))
Subject: Configure Kernel for Oracle?
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 99 14:30:11 GMT

I have downloaded the trial version of Oracle 8.0.5 for Linux from
an Oracle site. I have also downloaded the documentation for
Linux installation. According to the documentation, the first task
to be performed by the root user is to configure the Linux kernel
Interprocess Communication parameters. The parameters to be configured
and their recommended values are as follows:

parameter       Recommended Value

SHMMAX          4294967295
SHMMIN          1
SHMMNI          100
SHMSEG          10
SEMMNS          200
SEMMNI          70
SEMMSL          equal to or greater than the value of the PROCESS
                initialization parameter

I am wondering how to set these parameters, particularly the last one?
Since Oracle Installation Support Team does not offer support for Linux
installation (at least for now), any help is highly appreciated!

(I am running Slackware 3.5 and RedHat 5.2)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Kevin Martin)
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.portable,comp.os.linux.powerpc,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.editors
Subject: Re: Emacs! Re: Easy UNIX editor
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 14:47:53 GMT

In article <369198eb.0@calwebnnrp>, it says Ilya <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>In comp.os.linux.misc

AND comp.os.linux.networking, portable, powerpc, setup, and yet ANOTHER new
entry, the nonexistent group comp.editors.

Feh.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan Hogan)
Subject: Re: Concentric.net Connection
Date: 05 Jan 1999 18:03:52 PST

Thanks to all who reponded to my post. I can now connect to PPP. The
answer was to add, after my LOGIN name, "@PPP", worked like a charm. I
don't recall reading this anywhere. NOW to start configuring my mail
system.

Again thanks,

Dan Hogan

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (INZTRUKT)
Crossposted-To:
gnu.gcc.help,comp.lang.asm,comp.lang.c,gnu.g++.help,comp.unix.programmer,comp.lang.X
Subject: C Compiler Internals, Libraries, assembler etc.
Date: 05 Jan 1999 18:16:10 PST

This is a rather broad question. I am interested in the internals of the
libraries such as libc, elf etc. Where to get this info? What is the
primary source? What are the helpful/readible secondary sources? K&R/K&P
do not give the source of the libraries, I think. Now what about the X
libraries for graphical user interface regarding docs and source, and
description of internals. Don't these free/open sources have online
documentations that are ftpable? Are these libraries not supposed to
separate the portable and non-portable contents of the compiler/X etc.? If
so then they cannot be written in C. Algorithms may be, but the codes that
access the memory by absolute addresses or the specific registers must
then be in assembly. If not then there must be a fourth miraculous way of
accessing the hardware. The only three ways that I know or are:
        assembly                machine language level
        BIOS                    machine language firmware routines
        DOS/OS routines         OS system calls
All three work under DOS. Which work under linux/Unix? How to write and
compile assembly under linux? There is the "as" assembler under linux but
is there any example code that someone can share that can do say graphical
stuff etc or manipulate sound? Also where to get good documentation on as
other than the small man page. What about info on loader? where to get it?
What is the format of .o file and what about the internals and simple
examples of this process.

Thanks for any and all helpful replies!
Abe

------------------------------

From: Bill <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: /var/log/messages & 2.2.0-pre1
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 13:38:32 -0500

Hi all,
   Really like 2.2.2-pre1, no real problems, fast and stable.
Since I've been running it though in /var/log/messages it says "Cannot
find map file" I've put System.map and map everywhere I can think of
that it might look, / , /boot and /lib/modules/2.2.0-pre1. Still the
same message. Anyone know how I can fix this?
Or what exactly this means?
   Another question I have is again in /var/log/messages after I start
ppp0 it says
"modprobe: can't locate module ppp-compress-26" What is the alias for
that module?

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: How to edit /etc/fstab to mount cdrom automatically?
Date: Tue, 05 Jan 1999 20:30:11 -0600

hi all,
I know this question had been asked a billion times in this news group,
but how do I mount cdrom automatically at start up?  thank you in
advance!

------------------------------

From: Paul Griffiths <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Apache & Perl Help
Date: Wed, 06 Jan 1999 02:52:38 +0000

hcsthl wrote:

> I have installed Apache v1.2.6 with Perl v5.004_04.
> Have tried running a simple perl script from the command line and the
> perl script works fine.
> However, when trying it out on Apache, an error message appears saying
> something about misconfiguration or something wrong with the Perl
> engine. Have tried adding and changing parameters in the "conf" files
> and nothing seems to work. I'm assuming I'm doing the wrong thing - i.e.
> the configuration. So can anyone help? Can anyone tell me what settings
> that I need to set in the "conf" files setting to get Perl to work? Been
> trying to get this running for the past week or so.

Post the script.

--
Paul Griffiths