Linux-Misc Digest #515, Volume #18                Fri, 8 Jan 99 15:13:10 EST

Contents:
  Re: MCA Linux (Linux for PS/2 Microchannel) (sl)
  Re: SuSE 5.3 and printing (Jerry Lynn Kreps)
  Floppy Disk Drive ("Paul Davies")
  Re: Help :  red hat root password (Allen Wong)
  Re: how to mount fat so everyone can write to it
([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: release root access (Johan Kullstam)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Peter Granroth)
  Re: restarting apps without rebooting (Mark Brown)
  Where to get libjpeg.so.62? (Stimpy)
  Multiple NIC Cards.. HELP!!
  Re: Linux drivers for IOMEGA zip drive ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Re: Multiple NIC Cards.. HELP!!
  CDR software, java and graphic - help wanted ("John Poulsen")
  jobs control question ("Dolphin M. Hawkins")
  Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Card (Jeff Grossman)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers ("Netnerd")
  Re: Problem connecting Windows95 with Linux Samba over SSH (Yan Seiner)
  Re: Can't find modem (Rob Clark)
  CHAP 4 dummies (Wael Sedky)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Chris Mikkelson)
  Re: sbin directories (Was: Anti-Linux FUD) (Matthew Kirkwood)
  Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
  Re: Anti-Linux FUD (Floyd Davidson)
  Memory limited to 65Mb ("BugKiller")
  Fvwm2 key binding question (Christopher Pedersen)
  RPM seg faults... any ideas? (Kevin Currie)

From: sl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: MCA Linux (Linux for PS/2 Microchannel)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 12:03:54 -0500

Hi Jeff-

    I just today sucessfully installed Debian Linux on an MCA machine.
I too am curious to know what happened to those sites as now I have a
new problem - trying to find a supported ethernet card.  The MCA 3com
Etherexpress I have in there now is not supported. :(.

Anyone know where I might find a list for Microchannel Supported
Hardware?

Sean Langford
University of Rhode Island
High Performance Computing Lab

------------------------------

From: Jerry Lynn Kreps <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SuSE 5.3 and printing
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 17:02:37 -0600

Gordon Haverland wrote:

> John Meissen wrote:
> >
> > Well, I've adapted to most of SuSE, and overall I'm pretty happy. But
> > I have one major problem left....I can't print.
>
> I too have a 5.3 install, and printing is strange.  Supposedly
> "magic" print formatting is installed, but only a couple of
> formats actually seem to print.  Trying to fund where in the
> spooling setup the files are getting eaten by turning on
> various debugging features hasn't been helpful either.
<snip>

When I first installed SuSE 5.3 I, too, had problems getting my BJC-620
to print.  I solved it by installing the a2ps software.
Jerry

------------------------------

From: "Paul Davies" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Floppy Disk Drive
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:04:54 -0800

To read to floppy disk, I use mount /mnt/floppy

However, when I change the disk to new disk is not picked up - an "ls"
reveals files that were on the old disk.

When I try and remount, I keep getting a "device is busy" message which
takes about 20 mins to disappear before it reads the new floppy.

Surely there must be a simpler way to read new floppies!

Any help appreciated.

Paul

------------------------------

From: Allen Wong <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Help :  red hat root password
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 15:33:36 -0800

Billy Bob,

    How are you able to edit the passwd file if you can't log in as
"root"?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: how to mount fat so everyone can write to it
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 22:53:45 GMT

Just before high-siding Sebastian Boung <bossung@{remove_this}gmx.de> shrieked:
: Hi,

: I'm pretty new to Linux and I'm wondering how you mount a FAT
: partition (vfat) so everyone - not just root - can write to it.

in the flags section of /etc/fstab, try replacing default with:

default,umask=000

I just did this last night, and it works like a charm :)
--
patowic jurai net  PH #3  Cabal# e                      Dod# WildCard
"A man gets enough braid on him, he walks into a room, and he

------------------------------

From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: release root access
Date: 08 Jan 1999 12:53:50 -0500

Daniel Suen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Hi All,
>
> I am using RedHat 4.1. I am fiddling with the .rhosts, hosts.equiv stuff.
> So far, I have disabled the tcp wrapper for rshd, rexecd, and rlogind. I
> tried adding .rhosts afterwards, and it fails. Then I tried removing all
> these .rhosts files and then add the remote hostnames in hosts.equiv, and
> it works for ordinary users but not the root. After I read the man page,
> it does not help as those daemons don't accept the -h option as those are
> old versions. Besides, the man pages do not say that it needs special
> options anyways to make the thing work for root. I know that using
> "telnet", I can't login root directly. Is there anyway to get these BSD
> services to work for root? If you have an idea, let me know through email
> to "[EMAIL PROTECTED]". Thanks!

why is it so hard to remote login as a regular user and then su to
become root?  are you trying to remote admin via a script?

--
johan kullstam

------------------------------

From: Peter Granroth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: 08 Jan 1999 19:33:45 +0100

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven C. Den Beste) writes:

> On 08 Jan 1999 16:04:59 +0100, David Kastrup graced us with this wisdom:

> >> The US antitrust laws are designed to protect consumers, not competitors.
> >> Has the consumer been harmed?  Of course not.
> >
> >Why then is the consumer putting up with an operating system that
> >crashes several orders of magnitudes more than other offers?
>
> Perhaps because they're not? Perhaps because the rumor about instability is
> an urban legend based on anecdotal evidence, and not grounded on anything
> statistically valid?

I do believe that many 'reports' of MS Windows crashing several times
a day are exaggerated, but a stable OS it is certainly not. When still
I had Windows95 installed on my computer it crashed about a couple of
times a week (sometimes less, sometimes more). It may not seem that
bad, but it's still far too often for my taste. I use Linux
exclusively on my box now, and I have yet to see a kernel crash (and I
have used devel kernels since 2.1.114 (granted, I have had a few
problems with those, but never a crash)). Netscape has locked X a
couple of times though (but those times I have been able to log in
remotely and kill Netscape).

+         Peter Granroth         +  Microsoft is NOT the answer  +
+ mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] +   Microsoft is the question   +
+     http://granroth.ml.org     +       The answer is NO        +

From: Mark Brown <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: restarting apps without rebooting
Date: 08 Jan 1999 05:10:50 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Frederick Senn) writes:

> I'd like to know wheter someone knows of a site listing how linux apps
> (apache, sendmail, etc) can be forced to reread their conf files
> without having to reboot the entire system?
> I'm a newbie to linux and heard that nt has to get rebooted for every
> litte tweak.

Linux very rarely needs to be rebooted for these things - almost all
changes except installing a new kernel or new hardware can be done
without rebooting.

Programs should document a method to do this on a per program basis -
have a look in the manual pages and other documentation.  However, if
you are using programs managed by your system there should be a
simpler way.

Most packages for demons will provide scripts to start, stop and
restart them - this is how the system knows how to do this at startup
and shutdown.  On RedHat, have a look in /etc/rc.d/init.d.  On Debian,
it's just /etc/init.d.  The scripts will support various options,
including start and stop which have the obvious meanings and will
cleanly start and stop the program.

If the program doesn't restart and you don't see a message saying why,
remember to check the logs in /var/log - many non-interactive programs
send error messages to the logs rather than the screen.

--
Mark Brown  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]   (Trying to avoid grumpiness)
            http://www.tardis.ed.ac.uk/~broonie/

Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 12:13:43 -0600
From: Stimpy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Where to get libjpeg.so.62?

Anyone know where to get this file.  Need it for rpm install of
afterstep.  Failed dep on this file.  Using redhat 5.1

------------------------------

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.help,comp.os.linux.networking,linux.redhat.install,linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Multiple NIC Cards.. HELP!!
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 15:25:27 -0800

I am trying to boot my Red Hat Linux computer with two 3c509 nic cards. As
the computer is booting all the info scrolls and both nic cards are
detected. I used linuxconf to add the two nic's and configure IP address.
But every time the computer boots. A delaying eth0, and eth1 message appears
and the nic's don't work.
Help.
Thanks in advance.
Max

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware
Subject: Re: Linux drivers for IOMEGA zip drive
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 18:44:05 GMT

In article <76vs77$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  Stephen Richard FREELAND <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> In comp.os.linux.misc Jürgen Exner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> :>In article <753i7a$3kd$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
> :>  [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mark O Thomas) wrote:
> :>>
> :>> Where can I find drivers for the Zip and Jaz drives?
>
> : You don't need any.
> :  It's just another drive and all drivers you need are the standard drivers
> : as for any other HD.
>       Um, wrong.
>       Could be your kernel already has the right driver in there, but it
> is *definitely* not your run-of-the-mill IDE hard drive code.
>       My own ZIP uses the ATAPI-floppy driver.  Others uses SCSI drivers,
> and there are even weirder setups for the parallel versions of the ZIP.
> Don't know about Jaz, but I wouldn't imagine they use standard hard drive
> code either.  . SNF .
> --
> Steve 'Nephtes' Freeland | Okay, so maybe I'm a tiny itty little
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]      | bit of a minimalist.

If you have a parallel port version of an IOMEGA Zip drive, typing "insmod
ppa" should allow Linux to notice the drive (as long as a disk is in the
drive).  To mount the drive type 'mount /dev/sda4 -t vfat /Zip'.  This is the
way I mount it, since the disk is formatted in FAT16 and I use it in
conjunction with an NT workstation at University.  Hope that helps !

Oliver

From: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
Subject: Re: Multiple NIC Cards.. HELP!!
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 08:58:00 -0800

How do I do that?

------------------------------

From: "John Poulsen" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: CDR software, java and graphic - help wanted
Date: Thu, 7 Jan 1999 23:48:27 +0100

Hey.

I want to know what CDR-software there are for Linux - and what hardware
that's supported.

A Javadeveloping software with GUI for Linux - is there such a program?
Where can I get it?

What is the best graphical drawing and editing programs for Homepage
production?

Thank  in advance

Best regards

John Poulsen

From: "Dolphin M. Hawkins" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: jobs control question
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 16:38:09 -0800

i am using tcsh and i am trying to run a job in the background (by
appending a & to the command) and i keep getting Suspended(tty output)
message and the process stops.  i am not interested in any output (i am
sending the output to /dev/null).  if i run it without the & i dont get
any output (as it is redirected to /dev/null).   is there a way i can
disable this?  thanks.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Jeff Grossman)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Linksys EtherFast 10/100 Card
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 00:33:47 GMT

Hello,

I have a Linksys EtherFast 10/100 card.  How do I get Linux to
recognize the card?  I am very new to Linux, so please be kind.

Thanks,
Jeff
---
Jeff Grossman ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: "Netnerd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 09:02:35 -0500
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux

David Kastrup wrote in message ...
>"Netnerd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
>
>> The latest consumer poll shows that 81 percent of consumers think
>> Microsoft has been good for consumers, and 52 percent think the case
>> was brought to help Microsoft's rivals.
>
>Microsoft is not under accusation because of being bad to customers,
>but because of illegal means for fighting competition.  And of course
>the case was brought to help Microsoft's rivals.  They are the damaged
>party of the alleged business practices.  Of course it helps them if
>Microsoft is restricted to fighting them by legal means.

The US antitrust laws are designed to protect consumers, not competitors.
Has the consumer been harmed?  Of course not.  Have competitors been harmed?
Netscape's current market capitalization is $6.5 billion.  This is hardly an
example of harm.  Netscape is more an example of great success.  Asked the
founders who are laughing all the way to the bank.  Of course if Microsoft
had not competed with Netscape, Netscape may have retained its 80% browser
monopoly and been worth even more.  Boohoo.

------------------------------

From: Yan Seiner <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.ms-windows.networking,microsoft.public.win95.networking,microsoft.public.win98.networking,microsoft.public.winnt.networking
Subject: Re: Problem connecting Windows95 with Linux Samba over SSH
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 08:10:47 -0500

It's possible that your cable modem provider is using a proxy server or
is otherwise blocking some ports.  See if you can telnet in to your
server on the ports you're tunneling.

Yan

"Vipul P. Gore" wrote:

> Hello
>
> Hello
>
> I recently bought 1 user license of SSH Tunnel&Terminal for Windows95.
> Prior to that I was using a trial version for about a month. I want to
> set a VPN between my home computer and office lan. The office lan
> gateway is Linux (Debian) running samba while at home I use Windows 95.
>
> When I was using the trial version, I was able to tunnel to my company's
> lan via my internet connection. After I bought the version, it does not
> work at all. I am tunneling port# 137, 138 and 139 (netbios ports).  The
> gateway machine at our company is Linux box running Samba while I am
> using Windows95 at home.
>
> There is also one another strange behaviour. I have two internet
> services at home. One is dial-up (28.8K) while another is cable modem
> (Ethernet -Static IP Address).
> I can map the network drive of Linux on my PC using dial-up connection
> but cannot map the same drive if I use Ethernet (cable modem)
>
> I am not sure whether the tunnel is not working or whether samba cannot
> resolve the netbios name, etc. etc.
>
> There are some shared directories on Linux machine that I need to access
> at home.
>
> Can someone help.Any help will be highly appreciated
>
> Regards,
>
> Vipul

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: linux.redhat.misc
Subject: Re: Can't find modem
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Rob Clark)
Date: Fri, 08 Jan 1999 00:38:43 GMT

In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>, Donald Hurst  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I have a NewCom 56K Plug 'n Play modem which works just fine under
>Windows 95 on Comm 4.  Under RedHat Linux 5.2 I can't seem to get a
>dialtone.  I have tried Comm 1 thru Comm 4 using minicom and can't get a
>sound.
>
>The box says for Windows 95 or higher.  Is that my problem???

Could be.  Please check you modem's model number against this list:

       http://www.o2.net/~gromitkc/winmodem.html

The Newcom modems are at the very bottom of the list.  If you've got one
of the modems marked "?" please note that this modem is probably "OK"
since it is designed to work with DOS.

Rob Clark, [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Wael Sedky)
Subject: CHAP 4 dummies
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 18:45:38 GMT

I hope I am not posting the same message twice, if I did please excuse me
because I was having problem with dejanews.

I urgently need to configure CHAP and I can't find any info on how to do
that. The man page refers to the options file which has very little info
and doesn't give an example on how to write the script.

Your help is greatly appreciated.
Please email
Thank you.

Spammers will be added to my bi-monthly list.
--
Wael Sedky

alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Chris Mikkelson)
Date: 8 Jan 1999 11:35:06 +0600

In article <7754in$5i7$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
David Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> That's PRECISELY why we have elections - to protect us from those who
>> know better.
>
>Thats democracy for you: the one person who really knows what is going on
>is outvoted by the 99 emotional hysterics.
>
>..d

Of course, it's debatable whether the opposite is preferable.

All democracy does is piss off the least number of people per issue.
I think we will have the best system, when and only when the desire to
control other people is recognized as the mental disease that it is.

-Chris

------------------------------

From: Matthew Kirkwood <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: sbin directories (Was: Anti-Linux FUD)
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:01:07 +0000

On 8 Jan 1999, Floyd Davidson wrote:

> >> If that were true, how would it make fdformat a candidate for
> >> an sbin directory?
> >
> >Because it would be of no use to anyone but root.
>
> However, that is also untrue.  (And is exactly why some programs
> are setuid and owned by root.)

Floppy formatting is a hardware task.  Granted, it's controlled by
software, but that is not relevant.  Users are not allowed to use
the formatting ioctl(), so a program which has as its sole purpose
the controlled use of that very same ioctl() is pretty useless to
non-root users.

> The reason a binary should be in an sbin directory would
> be because it is a systems admin tool only, that only users
> doint systems admin work will use.

And I claim that fdformat is a "systems admin tool only".

Do I win a prize?

Matthew.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Thomas Bushnell, BSG)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 08 Jan 1999 15:04:34 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steven C. Den Beste) writes:

> Perhaps because they're not? Perhaps because the rumor about instability is
> an urban legend based on anecdotal evidence, and not grounded on anything
> statistically valid?

Over Christmas I was in my parents' house and used my father's Windows
95 box a while.

I did three things with it:
  I browsed the web with Internet Explorer
  I used telnet
  I used a proprietary bridge playing program (GIB)

Over the course of a week, it crashed several times.  One time it
crashed apparently because I moved the telnet window on the desktop as
GIB was loading.  Other times it just hung.  Sometimes I'd hit
CTRL-ALT-DEL in order to forcibly kill the running task, which had
hosed itself somehow, and then the whole machine would freeze up.  It
was amazing to me.

I got back to my Unixoid machines, Linux, Solaris, Irix, etc., and ran
uptime.  They had been up for hundreds of days.  And they didn't crash
before that either; rather, they just needed to be rebooted in order
to take a software upgrade or because a hardware change was made.

When Windows 98 was rolled out, some people handed out GNU/Linux CD
Roms on the sidewalk to the journalists.  They'd say "Here's an
operating system that doesn't crash" and the journalists didn't
believe that such a thing was possible.  Because, you see, they only
used Microsoft products.

Thomas

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Floyd Davidson)
Crossposted-To: uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Anti-Linux FUD
Date: 8 Jan 1999 12:40:28 GMT

Matthew Kirkwood  <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>> >Worse than that, the formatting ioctl is root-only, isn't it?
>> >That would make fdformat a strong candidate for /usr/sbin/
>>
>> If that were true, how would it make fdformat a candidate for
>> an sbin directory?
>
>Because it would be of no use to anyone but root.

However, that is also untrue.  (And is exactly why some programs
are setuid and owned by root.)

>fdformat performs a similar task to badblocks, which
>gets an sbin mention on redhat, at least.
>
>> However, it isn't true.
>
>weejock@ferret:~$ cat /etc/redhat-release
>release 5.1 (Manhattan)
>weejock@ferret:~$ which fdformat
>/usr/bin/fdformat

Which only tells half the story.  That it is not setuid
tells the other half.

The reason a binary should be in an sbin directory would
be because it is a systems admin tool only, that only users
doint systems admin work will use.

  Floyd

--
Floyd L. Davidson                                [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Ukpeagvik (Barrow, Alaska)                       [EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "BugKiller" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Memory limited to 65Mb
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 01:39:34 +0100

Hello
    I use a slackware 3.4 and have 128 Mo SDram.
Linux only show me 65 Mb ...
    Could someone help me ?
    Thanx :)

------------------------------

From: Christopher Pedersen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Fvwm2 key binding question
Date: Fri, 8 Jan 1999 14:43:16 -0500

Hello,

Here is what I want to do:  to make a key binding such that I can raise
the (already opened) FvwmPager window to the front of any other windows
that might be blocking it from view.  E.g., ctrl+F12 will raise the pager.

Can this be done? I have searched around in the help files for Fvwm2, but
nothing there strikes me as helpful in any obvious way.

Thanks in advance,
chris.

From: Kevin Currie <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: RPM seg faults... any ideas?
Date: Thu, 07 Jan 1999 19:47:56 +0000

Hello, I'll try this again... this has been giving me headaches for over
6 months now, and no one seems to know of a solution.  The problem is
that I cannot get RPM to uninstall several entries of ypserv.  All of
the files are gone, but the records are still in the RPM database.  How
can I get these out?  Is there a way to just get them out of the
database and let me worry about anything left hanging?

Here is a little stdout to help.

19:39:17 eddie:/home/users/kgcurrie# rpm --version
RPM version 2.5.5

19:36:51 eddie:/home/users/kgcurrie# rpm -vve ypserv-1.3.1-2
D: counting packages to uninstall
D: opening database in //var/lib/rpm/
D: found 1 packages to uninstall
D: uninstalling record number 750040
Segmentation fault

19:36:59 eddie:/home/users/kgcurrie# rpm -vve ypserv-1.3.4-1
D: counting packages to uninstall
D: opening database in //var/lib/rpm/
D: found 1 packages to uninstall
D: uninstalling record number 3961560
Segmentation fault

19:37:02 eddie:/home/users/kgcurrie# rpm -vve ypserv-1.3.4-1gdbm
D: counting packages to uninstall
D: opening database in //var/lib/rpm/
D: found 1 packages to uninstall
D: uninstalling record number 2986712
Segmentation fault

--
"what if what is isn't you, does that mean you've got to lose" - b.c.