Linux-Misc Digest #515, Volume #26               Sun, 10 Dec 00 17:13:02 EST

Contents:
  Re: MySql is Unstable ("deepesh")
  Re: ramdisk size (Dances With Crows)
  Re: Activating the Multimedia keys - DONE! (Istvan Zsolt Kovacs)
  Re: Help installing Redhat on a laptop with pcmcia cd rom (Tom Voltaggio)
  Re: Netscape POST/passwd field problem (Scooter)
  Re: Suse 7, vbox and teles 16.3c pnp (Dirk Telgir)
  Debian-Tuning ("Martin")
  Re: The best SQL server ("WME")
  Re: broked EXT2 partition (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
  Re: Help installing Redhat on a laptop with pcmcia cd rom (Bob Martin)
  DIAMOND:STEALTH III 540, 32MB, AGP, SAVAGE4 CHIPSET (John Hanson)
  Linux e-mail client (Loki)
  Re: 'find' errors after setting up software RAID ("harry")
  Re: Linuxgruven is Deceptive in their Ad (ray carpenter)
  ?>Use of setserial/setrocket to SET SPD* flags (Andrew Purugganan)
  qmail vs sendmail (ray carpenter)
  Re: VCD player on Linux (John Ashe)
  Re: qmail vs sendmail (Big Daddy)
  BASIS Pro5 question ("Scott M. Navarre")
  Re: Launching linux without XWin ([EMAIL PROTECTED])
  Email Server (Andy Fraser)
  BTTV and Sound Support ("Eric Wyles")
  cdrecord - CD Writer (Sean W Gaiser)

From: "deepesh" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: MySql is Unstable
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 17:29:41 GMT

I have use MySQL db on www.dvsinfo.com and working well ,but there are many
changes occures as interface to db
(API) releases in new versions .

www.dvsinfo.com
[EMAIL PROTECTED]

news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: ramdisk size
Date: 10 Dec 2000 18:31:01 GMT

On 10 Dec 2000 17:59:01 GMT, Timo Benk staggered into the Black Sun and said:
>Is it possible to set the size of /dev/ram0 after booting?

RAMdisk size is set by the rd_size parameter if you load rd.o as a
module, or by the kernel command line if it's built in.  AFAICT, you
must unload and reload the module to change RAMdisk size, and there's no
way to alter snything in /proc to change the size of a RAMdisk.
Sorry....

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.hardware,comp.os.linux.x
From: Istvan Zsolt Kovacs <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Activating the Multimedia keys - DONE!
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:39:43 GMT

Hi!

> > These keys DO NOT generate any scancodes (checked with showkeys and xev)!
> They DO GENERATE scancodes. (at least for my Logitech Cordless)
> You didn't use showkey -s, right ?

By default on my Chicony KB8993 they did not generate any scancodes!

I found the way to activate these keys as explained at:
http://www.win.tue.nl/math/dw/personalpages/aeb/linux/kbd/scancodes-2.html

For anybody else interested in using these kind of keyboards:

1) a kernel patch and a daemon can be found at:
http://www.packetrot.com

2) in XFree86 4.0.1 one has to add the "inet(microsoftpro)" (or a
similar custom made symbol table) in the "Symbols" option for the keyboard
section. in RH6.0 the 'inet' symbol definition file is located in
/usr/lib/X11/xkb/symbols.

Istvan

------------------------------

From: Tom Voltaggio <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Help installing Redhat on a laptop with pcmcia cd rom
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 18:55:21 GMT

I copied the Redhat Disk #1 to the hard drive and tried the
install. It seems to install fine until it starts to read
the
package information.  I then get a message:
Exception occured
Traceback (innermost last):
 File "/usr/bin/anaconda.real",
line 227, in ?
     intf.run(todo, test = test)
 File
"/tmp/lib/python1.5/site-packages/text.py",
line 1009 in run
    rc = apply (step[1](), step[2])
 File
"/mnt/redhat/comps/install/6.1.1/i386/
misc/src/trees/hdimage/usr/lib/python1.5/
site-packages/textw/packages.py", line 10, in__call__
 File
etc....blah blah..

Any ideas?

------------------------------

From: Scooter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Netscape POST/passwd field problem
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 14:03:40 -0500

"D. Stimits" wrote:

> <snip>
> > Did you "Enable JavaScript" in the browser?
>
> A related item for some password setups, is that once you are
> authenticated, it writes a cookie to verify subsequent hits. So cookies
> should also be on while testing. FYI, after changing javascript or
> cookie settings in NS, I find it better to restart NS than rely on the
> changes having actually taken place.

Thanks, that was dead on. It was the cookies. I had turned them off to play
around with something else and then forgotten about them being off.  Always
re-check the obivous first! :)

OTOH, I find the lack of proper error handling in the sites I visited kind of
puzzling. It seems like a very anticipatable problem, and one would think that
they would handle it more gracefully in their CGI scripts or servlets or
whatever they're doing.  Instead, the response was totally uninformative.
Interesting.

------------------------------

From: Dirk Telgir <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Suse 7, vbox and teles 16.3c pnp
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:03:06 GMT

In article <90rot8$9e6$01$[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "MC Hammer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> my linux box as an telephone answering machine.
> So I tried to set up vbox... Hmm I got it already running with an old
suse
> distribution
> 1 year ago and an AVM Fritz PCMCIA card- but now I cannot get vbox
running

Hi nobody,

at first I think you're not MC Hammer!
second, if you want to know something, it's generally a good idea to do
research.

As you did read, if you done so, the driver of teles 16.3c does not
support audio.

Dirk.

From: "Martin" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux
Subject: Debian-Tuning
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:34:11 +0100

Hi,
I´m using Debian 2.2 ("potato"). I´ve got several questions and I hope you
can help me to answer some of them:

1) When I´ve worked as a normal user and press Ctrl-D, the screen is cleared
and the login-prompt appears. This is not the case when I´ve worked as root!
What do I have to do that the screen is *always* cleared?

2) When I use the console of KDE (~1.9) it´s totally different from the
text-mode: There are different colors used (e. g. "ls") and KDE ignores my
"/etc/profile"-aliases I´ve defined. How to change ...?

3) When I mount a Windows NTFS-Partition, some special characters -- like
German "ü" -- are not shown correctly (looks like reading a binary file with
a texteditor). What can I do?

... would be pleased at any help!
Thanks, Martin

------------------------------

From: "WME" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: The best SQL server
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:40:10 GMT

My question should've been, why is MySQL more popular?

By the way, does MySQL have a GUI (an MS-SQL style or so)?

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Svend Olaf Mikkelsen)
Subject: Re: broked EXT2 partition
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:53:07 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dan de Haan) wrote:

>I need to recover a messed up partition.  My linux system doens't
>boot, so I tried to mount the partition usein a recovery disk (toms
>RBT) but it can mount it, so I tried to e2fsck it, but it complaing
>about amessed super block and suggest trying e2fsck -b 8193 <device>
>instead.  That didn't work.  What cam I do to get this partiton back?
>
>               -Dan de  Haan

To provide additional information about the current situation, you can
download Findpart at http://inet.uni2.dk/~svolaf/utilities.htm, do
from DOS or Windows:

findpart all +fat fp.txt

and insert (not attach) the output from fp.txt in a follow-up to this
message.
--
Svend Olaf

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 13:51:54 -0600

Tom Voltaggio wrote:

> I copied the Redhat Disk #1 to the hard drive and tried the
> install. It seems to install fine until it starts to read
> the
> package information.  I then get a message:
> Exception occured
> Traceback (innermost last):
>  File "/usr/bin/anaconda.real",
> line 227, in ?
>      intf.run(todo, test = test)
>  File
> "/tmp/lib/python1.5/site-packages/text.py",
> line 1009 in run
>     rc = apply (step[1](), step[2])
>  File
> "/mnt/redhat/comps/install/6.1.1/i386/
> misc/src/trees/hdimage/usr/lib/python1.5/
> site-packages/textw/packages.py", line 10, in__call__
>  File
> etc....blah blah..
>
> Any ideas?

see the RH 6.1 site....

http://www.redhat.com/support/docs/gotchas/6.1/gotchas-6.1-4.html#ss4.15
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: John Hanson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.bsd.freebsd.misc
Subject: DIAMOND:STEALTH III 540, 32MB, AGP, SAVAGE4 CHIPSET
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 19:54:50 GMT

I'm going to be building a new box for my son and I want to use my
existing Ati Expert98 card in it.  I would then like to purchase the
diamond stealth III 540 and use it in my existing Linux/FreeBSD box.

Is there any problems with the diamond card with either Linux or
FreeBSD?  It is on a Tyan 1590 mobo if that makes any difference.

TIA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Loki)
Crossposted-To: maus.computer.linux,alt.comp.freeware,alt.comp.opensource
Subject: Linux e-mail client
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 20:04:02 GMT

Hi,

I´m searching for a Linux e-mail client which supports:
HTML, POP3, IMAP, SMTP
doesn´t need to support NNTP

Any suggestions ?

Thanx in advance,
                Loki

------------------------------

From: "harry" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.os.linux
Subject: Re: 'find' errors after setting up software RAID
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:36:16 +0100

have a look at your permissions. it is possible to deny reading your own
files. if the system sets up them they are maybe created with wrong
permissions.

BTW /proc is not a *regular* file. it is -let's say- an actual image of your
running system. so if you do not find a file anywhere else in the system you
will not find it in /proc (exep the special*proc*files like /proc/net ...)
files called /proc/<number> are usually the images of the processes with
this PID. you can use top to find out which process it is.

HTH
harry

------------------------------

From: ray carpenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Linuxgruven is Deceptive in their Ad
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 13:53:40 -0700

*** post for free via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

On Sun, 10 Dec 2000 01:30:54 GMT, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

>       I checked into a job opportunity with
>linuxgruven a few weeks ago......

I also interviewed with them in Denver.  They did not mention the 400
test fee but they did talk about the school fee.  As much as I like
linux, I decided to walk away because their presentation put a bad
taste in my mouth.

I wonder what percentage of people that start the class will actually
finish it?  So time ago, I earned both a BS and an MS in a
non-computer related field from a state accredited university.  I went
back to get a second bachelors in CS and I have never encountered such
nonsense.  The CS division was not interested in "good education" -
they were trying to "educate and weed out" the classes.  I can't help
but wonder if Linuxgruven will use these same tactics?

I wonder if the graduates (if any) will actually be employed by the
company?  I wonder how many (if any) will stay a year?  It will be
interesting to read what the media is saying about them in a
year......

Ray

  **** Post for FREE via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ****

*** Newsfeeds.com - The #1 Usenet Newsgroup Service on The Planet! ***
  http://www.newsfeeds.com       |         http://www.newsfeeds.com

* Anonymous posting server!      | * Totally Uncensored!
* SUPER Servers!                 | * Over 80,000 Newsgroups!
* BINARIES ONLY Servers!         | * 16 seperate Newsgroup Servers!
* SPAM FILTERED Server!          | * Instant access!
* ADULT ONLY Server!             | * Multiple OC 3's and OC 12's!
* MP3 ONLY Server!               | * 99% Article Completion!
* MULTIMEDIA ONLY Server!        | * Months of Retention!
* 7 UNCENSORED Newsgroup Servers | * Lightning FAST downloads!

  http://www.newsfeeds.com       |         http://www.newsfeeds.com
        **** Point your newsreader to post.newsfeeds.com ****

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andrew Purugganan)
Subject: ?>Use of setserial/setrocket to SET SPD* flags
Date: 10 Dec 2000 20:41:58 GMT

...is deprecated.

What does this mean, I only set up a getty on the serial port and try to
hook up a handheld PC to it. I am using vxHPC to perform VT100 emulation.
Any clues or ides so maybe I can begin to check it out, thanks...

--
jazz
Registered linux user no. 164098  +--+--+--+ Litestep user no. 386

------------------------------

From: ray carpenter <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: qmail vs sendmail
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 14:07:30 -0700

*** post for free via your newsreader at post.newsfeeds.com ***

Hi All,

I heard some very good things about using qmail instead of sendmail.
For those of you that have run both of these MTA's, what your opinion?
Any insights would be appreciated....

Ray

From: John Ashe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: VCD player on Linux
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:18:03 GMT

Istvan Zsolt Kovacs wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On 9 Dec 2000, Mohd-Hanafiah Abdullah wrote:
> > Is there a VCD player on Linux, free or commercial?
>
> You can also try at http://www.mpegtv.com for a better, fullscreen
> general format player.
> It didn't work for me, though :(
>
> Istvan

Try ZZPlayer
http://www.machineofthemonth.com/articles/a34/index.html

John

------------------------------

From: Big Daddy <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: qmail vs sendmail
Date: 10 Dec 2000 21:23:00 GMT

Scribbling furiously, ray carpenter managed to write....
: I heard some very good things about using qmail instead of sendmail.
: For those of you that have run both of these MTA's, what your opinion?
: Any insights would be appreciated....

I use it... However, postfix is also good and works well as a drop-in
replacement for sendmail, from what I've heard.

--
Big Daddy

An unbreakable toy is useful for breaking other toys.

------------------------------

From: "Scott M. Navarre" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux
Subject: BASIS Pro5 question
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:38:36 GMT

Hello,

  First of all, I tried posting this question on BASIS's newsgroup on their
news server, but it seems that it is down (I do not see my postings appear,
and the last posting is dated 11/27/00).  So, I am hoping that someone here
will know...

  I am having trouble using mnemonics in BASIS Pro5 for Linux.  For example,
when I
use the following:

PRINT 'CS'

  I just get this returned on the next line:

instead of it clearing the screen.

  Also when I do a PRINT 'BLUE' it just returns the text "BLUE"
on the next line instead of setting the color...

Thanks for any help,
  Scott

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Launching linux without XWin
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:28:21 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Megret <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> I don't know how i can launch linux without xwindow.
>> I have tried combinations of keys but i can't  find any that works!!
[...]
> lilo, I'm sure this is possible, but I'm not sure how, maybe one of
> the grub menu options?

Since I posted this this morning, my wife's system died (the cat
unplugged it, sigh...). When it was coming up, grub offered a
"failsafe" mode that looked likely. I didn't want to try it since I
wanted to get her system going again as soon as possible.

--
Jim Buchanan        [EMAIL PROTECTED]     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
=================== http://www.buchanan1.net/ ==========================

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andy Fraser)
Subject: Email Server
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 21:35:02 GMT

Hi,

Id like some recommendations as to how to setup an email server. All i
want it to do is pickup mail from my ISP and then sort it as to who it
belongs to. (we have a [EMAIL PROTECTED] addresss). Then users
can connect to the server and download there email possiably via imap
so they can log on at any computer.

many thanks

andy

From: "Eric Wyles" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: BTTV and Sound Support
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 16:00:22 -0600

Hi,

I have a TV/Radio card that I am trying to get running under Linux. I'm not
sure of the exact brand of the card, but I am able to get the Video from the
TV working properly, but I cannot hear sound.

I read somewhere that I should look on my card for any chips labeled TDA...
or TEA... and make sure all of the modules for those are loaded and then my
sound should work.

I have found 3 chips on my card that fit that description:
1) TDA 1593T
2) TEA 5582
3) TEA 6320

The only one I have found a module for is the TEA 6320 and I believe that
was a fader of some sort. Does anyone know if there are kernel modules for
those other two chips? I feel like if I could get those supported, I would
have sound.

BTW, I'm running RedHat 6.2 with a 2.2.17 kernel.

Thanks,
Eric

------------------------------

From: Sean W Gaiser <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: cdrecord - CD Writer
Date: Sun, 10 Dec 2000 22:03:02 GMT

Hello everyone,

I am trying to install an HP CD-Writer to my Redhat Linux 6.2 machine.  I have
downloaded cdrecord package but I am have some problems installing it.  When I
run cdrecord -scanbus, it tells me It is unable to open the SCSI port.  I need
to load those modules.  I can't find any good documentation on where to find
these modules, how to compile them if I need to, and which files to configure
to have them load up.

Any information, and pionters in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Sean