From: Chris Welch <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: editing lilo.conf and making the change stick
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 00:31:35 -0600

Chris wrote:

> What's the command for making any changes to lilo.conf stay?  If you
> edit the file and do not run this command, they don't take.  Any help
> would be cool...thx...
>
> Chris

Huh? You mean like you run lilo and it doesn't write it or what?
--
/----------------------------------------------------------\
|               http://www.chaotic42.cx                    |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ...
Date: 11 Jan 1999 02:47:17 GMT

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc didst Ken Witherow
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> eloquently scribe:
: [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
:> Tell me ohe OS that will treat a file (in this case, a device driver) like a
:> directory?

: Linux. Use the loopback devices (very handy when you're making a custom
: cdrom and you want to check that the image is good before you burn it)

Good point. I hadn't thought of that...
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]| "I'm alive!!! I can touch! I can taste!         |
|     Andrew Halliwell     |  I can SMELL!!!  KRYTEN!!! Unpack Rachel and    |
|       Finalist in:-      |  get out the puncture repair kit!"              |
|     Computer Science     |     Arnold Judas Rimmer- Red Dwarf              |
|GCv3.12 GCS>$ d-(dpu) s+/- a C++ US++ P L/L+ E-- W+ N++ o+ K PS+  w-- M+/++ |
|PS+++ PE- Y t+ 5++ X+/X++ R+ tv+ b+ DI+ D+ G e>e++ h/h+ !r!| Space for hire |

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 11 Jan 1999 02:59:11 GMT

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc didst OmniČ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
eloquently scribe:
: yeah
: easy when u know how
: I bet you got heaps of flack when u were a newbie

Nope. But then, I know how to ask questions in a polite manner.
Lose the attitude, and I'll lose the sarcasm... OK?

: and now you cant wait to relay it on to some poor soul

Not at all. Even in my most sarcastic posts, I've still put bits of usefull
info.
--
|                          |What to do if you find yourself stuck in a crack|
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|in the ground beneath a giant boulder, which you|

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne)
Subject: Re: 2038 and Linux
Date: 11 Jan 1999 03:40:07 GMT

On 10 Jan 1999 21:17:53 -0500, Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> posted:
>[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Christopher B. Browne) writes:
>> There are several 64 bit architectures, but none that provide competitive
>> implementations as exist for IA-32.  Intel is the sole source for IA-64
>> (if it ever gets released :-)), Digital/Compaq is the sole source for
>> Alpha, SGI for MIPS, Motorola/IBM for PPC, Sun for SPARC, and so forth.
>> There may be more than one seller, but the 64 bit architectures only have
>> single 'design sources.'
>
>not true.  the last place i worked at had a vhdl license for an
>embedded mips processor.  it was only 32 bit but still.  mips are very
>straightforward (which is why i really like them).  clones would be a
>snap if anyone wanted to do them.

Gotta ask the question:  Did they have fairly unrestricted rights to
modify the design and sell chips?  Or were there requirements to send
in royalties to MIPS/SGI?

If there's an independent MIPS "design" out there, that indeed represents
a counterexample to what I've described.  Although it's interesting
that nobody has really cared to build such things for general use.
Windows NT was originally deployed on MIPS, but IA-32 and Alpha are
the only architectures that have been of *any* interest for NT sales,
and it seems likely that the continuing Alpha support results from some
major behind-the-scenes wrangling.

In any case, you're talking about a 32 bit version, and not the "forward
looking" 64 bit edition.

I would quite approve of the idea of there being a cheap PCI motherboard
handling MIPS chips; it certainly hasn't happened.
-- Henry Spencer          <http://www.hex.net/~cbbrowne/linuxarch.html#N64>
[EMAIL PROTECTED] - "What have you contributed to Linux today?..."

------------------------------

From: Colin Cameron <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Haverhill, Mass. area: ISP recommendations?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 23:52:01 -0330

Can anyone recommend a Linux-friendly dialup ISP in the Haverhill Mass.
area? TIA!

Latest tally:
Number of former Windows users who have switched to Linux: millions
Number of former Linux users who have switched to Windows: zero

From: David Steuber <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: 10 Jan 1999 19:48:44 -0500

"Poison Ivan" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

-> I said consumers are paying a lot less for Windows than they value Windows,
-> and therefore they are happy. Most consumers believe they are *under*-paying
-> for Windows.

How do you come to that conclusion?  As a consumer, I look at the SuSE
5.3 distribution with over 900 pieces of software and the Windows 98
upgrade with nearly nothing and I conclude that the $50 SuSE wants is
a better deal than the $90 Microsoft wants.  I can also install the
SuSE on any number of machines I like.

--
David Steuber
http://www.david-steuber.com

"Hackers penetrate and ravage delicate, private, and publicly owned
computer systems, infecting them with viruses and stealing materials
for their own ends.  These people, they're, they're  terrorists."

-- Secret Service Agent Richard Gill

alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
From: Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 10 Jan 1999 22:57:54 -0500

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mayor Of R'lyeh) writes:

> On 10 Jan 1999 15:52:07 -0500, Johan Kullstam <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> chose
> to bless us all with this bit of wisdom:
>
> >[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Mayor Of R'lyeh) writes:
> >> Windows is priced in line with other commercial OSs.
> >
> >redhat linux goes for $50 from the redhat people.  that is a
> >*commercial* (although not proprietary) OS.
>
> You're geting ripped off. My local Best Buys has it for $37.
> The difference is that is has almost no developement costs. Its done
> by volunteers. That's why I said it was silly to compare it to a
> commercial OS. I guess I really meant a commercially developed OS.
> Red Hat doesn't have anywhere near the investment in Linux that
> Microsoft has in Windows.

linux is a commercial operating system.  businesses are selling it.
people are buying it.  that's what commerce is - the buying and
selling of goods.  it makes no difference whether you consider it a
rip-off or not.  redhat linux is still a commercial operating system.
hence, it makes all the sense in the world to include it in your
comparison.

for all the investment microsoft has in windows, it is curious how
poor the quality is in comparison to gnu/linux.  sure windows has more
applications written for it, but as far as operating systems go, they
may be compared by rational people on their features.  for all the
money microsoft has invested, it is quite amusing that a hobbyist
operating system would even be considered in the same breath.

--
Johan Kullstam [[EMAIL PROTECTED]] Don't Fear the Penguin!

------------------------------

From: Nix <$}xin{$@esperi.demon.co.uk>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 10 Jan 1999 20:36:45 +0000

"Brent Metzler" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> Up here in Minnesota

This is off-topic in uk.comp.os.linux. Go away.

--
`Anyone who says you can have a lot of widely dispersed people hack
 away on a complicated piece of code and avoid total anarchy has never

------------------------------

From: SnJ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,linux.redhat.install
Subject: Re: does the Diamond SupraExpress 56i Modem do linux?
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 22:41:21 -0500

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
>   [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > No it is not.  I just picked up one of these to replace a SupraMax modem
> > which is.  It'll work fine.
> >
> > john
> >

> I was guessing that it wasn't because when I run the isapnp program my machine
> just hangs.  Did you have to do anything special to configure it?
>
> Thanks, Tone

   You just have to take it out of the PnP mode -- that is set the jumpers for a
specific COM/IRQ.  Then set your /dev/modem link to point to the corresponding
/dev/cuax file.

   If you plan to use the modem for Windows too, you need to create install it on
the same COM port as the jumpers are set for.

   Let me know if you have any problems.

john

------------------------------

From: Frank Hale <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: 11 Jan 1999 04:18:41 GMT

Chris Welch wrote:

> Chris wrote:
> >
> > What's the command for making any changes to lilo.conf stay?  If you
> > edit the file and do not run this command, they don't take.  Any help
> > would be cool...thx...
> >
> > Chris

After you edit lilo.conf run lilo to add the new changes.

From:      Frank Hale
Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED]
ICQ:       7205161
Homepage:  http://members.xoom.com/frankhale/
Jade:      http://jade.netpedia.net/

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.sys.next.advocacy,comp.sys.next.programmer
Subject: GNUstep FAQ update
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Richard Frith-Macdonald)
Date: 10 Jan 1999 17:56:02 GMT

Due to severe lack of manpower, much of the GNUstep website
(including the FAQ)
is (literally) years out of date.

In an attempt to do something about this, I'd lke to have a go at
putting
together a new FAQ.

Could anyone/everyone having any interest whatsover in this, please
email me
with any questions they have about GNUstep (or any suggestions about
what
information should appear in the FAQ)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Joe Zeff)
Crossposted-To:
alt.comp.linux.isp,;,alt.linux,;,alt.os.linux,;,alt.uu.comp.os.linux.questions,;,comp.os.linux.help,;,;,comp.os.linux.networking,;,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: ppp with isdn
Date: Sun, 10 Jan 1999 18:24:18 GMT

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (tom) wrote:

>Now what?  How do I connect to my ISP?

If you'll read what's been posted to this group in the last few days,
you'll see that I've just answered your question: call Earthlink tech
support and have us either talk you through our walk through, or send
you a copy.

---
Joe Zeff
     The Guy With the Sideburns
another clue like that and I may have to start thinking.
http://www.lasfs.org

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] ()
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Date: 11 Jan 1999 04:29:30 GMT

On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 10:05:57 +1100, OmniČ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>I wasnt asking you
>are you the local showoff here?
>
>and fyi every new gen of an intel cpu has
>different instructions

Not DIFFERENT but few additional instructions. Like the MMX crap
thats pretty much useless, some cache and P-mode OS type instructions
but really nothing of significance to user app programmer.

BTW assembly in U*x is generally pointless since the idea behind U*x
is portability, something that asm code isn't usefull for. It can be
used (for tight optimized loops) as demonstrated.

You should take a hint. Some people here are REALLY more knowledgeable
about Linux than you are so don't argue so much and take the advice that
youre given. Thats what the asm sample was supposed to demonstrate to your
ignorant self.

>besides dipshit i wasnt asking for an asm routine
>I was asking the dude for  machine instructions

Machine instructions? Thats what asm is, a symbolic notation
of machine code, what the hell, do you want the binary? Dumbass!

>since when can a cpu understand "%" as anything but text

Are you as dumb as you seem? Obviously the notation below is not
your everyday dos intel asm syntax. One glance at it would tell
you that if you ever programmed in TASM or MASM!

Go to www.linuxresources.com and read some of the docs there. It should
help you answer some basic questions, (no "who am I?" and "what am I doing
here?" are not answered there).

Good Luck with Linux and mellow out dude. Sometimes it ok to be wrong.
Linux is different, WAY different from DOS and windos. Try to learn its
strenghts itnstead of arguing how it is wrong. Bitchin after getting to
know it and using it day-in day-out for 12months+ is quite different than
bitching 10 minutes after the installation. Did you ever think of doing
some research before installing? Obviously not. Changing OS is a big deal
and shouldn't be motivated only by current "trendyness" and few articles
in "consumer-istic" magazines.

Again I wish you good luck.

Saahbs