From: "Matthew Whitworth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: must lprng listen on tcp/ip...?
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 12:08:01 -0700

I finally figured out how to get lprng listening only on a specific
interface.  The line "lpd_port=localhost%printer"  in lpd.conf will open the
printer port (515) only on the loopback interface.  515 isn't showing up in
remote port scans, and printing seems to be working perfectly so far.

Matthew

"Matthew Whitworth" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:j0uz6.29270$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> Does anyone know if there is a way to disable TCP/IP listening on lprng?
Or
> at least configure it to listen on a specific interface?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Matthew

Dear Linux Friends,

I would like to draw your attention to two new mailing lists regarding the use of
Linux in Iran and through Iranians (and their specific needs):

Anyone interested in these issues is welcome to join.

Best wishes,
Arash

Linux Programmer's Site

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David Efflandt)
Subject: frame buffer problem with minicom
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:25:33 +0000 (UTC)

When I booted to a frame buffer console (vesa = 785) and was
troubleshooting a modem irq problem, I kept thinking that there was still
an irq problem because the output from certain AT commands (like AT&V1)
would skip or truncate, as though minicom could not keep up with the modem
output (hardware flow control).  Then I tried that with a good working
external modem and it did the same thing.

In a regular text console, without framebuffer, minicom works fine.

So I am just curious why an agp frame buffer console does not control flow
or keep up with a modem (SuSE 7.1 kernel 2.4.0)?

BTW, the PnP modem works fine with PnP enabled in the BIOS, but
isapnp.conf and kernel PnP support removed (not even as a module).

--
David Efflandt  [EMAIL PROTECTED]  http://www.de-srv.com/
http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/

------------------------------

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Swap partitions on two hard disks
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 20:29:42 GMT

Ralph wrote:

> I have two hard disks and would like to install windows 98 and 2000 on the
> first one (in hda1 and hda2) and linux on the second one (hdb). For
> performance reasons I would like to create the Linux swap partition on the
> windows hard disk and two swap partitions for win98 and 2000 on the linux
> hard disk. Brief, it will look like this:
>
> hda1: Win 98
> hda2: Win 2000
> hda3: Linux Swap
>
> hdb1: Linux boot
> hdb2: Linux root
> hdb3: Win 98 Swap (Fat 32)
> hdb4: Win 2000 Swap (Ntfs)
>
> My questions:
>
> - Will that work for all three operating systems?
> - Is it worth it? (ie. will there be a significant performance
> improvement?)

It would work better with hda and hdc, not hdb.  Because of
limitations of IDE, when you access two drives on the same
controller (such as hda and hdb) one has to wait for the
other to complete it activity.  (Or something like that.
SCSI devices are much better about sharing the bus.)  So,
say, you're loading up StarOffice from your linux partition
and the vm manager decides to swap out Netscape to make
room.  (Just a hypothetical example--it applies to any two
memory hogging apps.)  Now your harddrives are contending
for the same bus.  Using hdc instead would help in that
situation.  However, physically seperate drives are still
better than having the drive heads seek back and forth
between loading one app and swapping out another.

> - My computer has 192 MB physical RAM. How much should I calculate for the
> windows swap partitions (sorry, this is off topic, but maybe You know
> it...)

I'd say 64-192MB.  My one machine briefly ran Win98 with
192MB of RAM.  (It's now linux only.)  My rule of thumb is
if I'm heavily into swap then I need more RAM, so my linux
machines each have ~64MB of swap regardless of RAM.  With
192MB of RAM, Win98 can live with that amount of swap in
most situations.  It's hard to say without knowing your
usage patterns.  Use a utility like Norton System Doctor to
track your swap usage for a few days, then give yourself
about 50% more for those "extreme" days.  I know nothing
about Win2K, however.

HTH,

J-P Stewart

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Dances With Crows)
Subject: Re: frame buffer problem with minicom
Date: 08 Apr 2001 20:32:54 GMT

On Sun, 8 Apr 2001 19:25:33 +0000 (UTC), David Efflandt staggered into
the Black Sun and said:
>When I booted to a frame buffer console (vesa = 785) and was
>troubleshooting a modem irq problem, I kept thinking that there was
>still an irq problem because the output from certain AT commands (like
>AT&V1) would skip or truncate, as though minicom could not keep up with
>the modem output (hardware flow control).  Then I tried that with a
>good working external modem and it did the same thing.
>
>In a regular text console, without framebuffer, minicom works fine.
>So I am just curious why an agp frame buffer console does not control
>flow or keep up with a modem (SuSE 7.1 kernel 2.4.0)?

Take a look at the system load when you're using a framebuffer console
and scrolling a lot of text.  Then take a look at the system load when
you're using a standard VGA console.  Framebuffers require a *LOT* more
intervention from the CPU, as none of the nifty accelerated functions
that are built into most video cards are getting used.  If your CPU is
slow, or if you haven't set hdparm -u1 on your disks, you could end up
dropping interrupts from the modem.  (Modems generate way too many
interrupts....)

Out of curiosity, why 785 and not 771?  256 colors is plenty for a text
console, and most likely a lot faster.  IMHO, the framebuffer console
itself is not really useful unless you have an LCD and want to use the
whole thing in console mode.

Brainbench MVP for Linux Admin /  Workin' in a code mine, hittin' Ctrl-Alt
http://www.brainbench.com     /   Workin' in a code mine, whoops!
=============================/    I hit a seg fault....

------------------------------

From: John-Paul Stewart <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: Kernel 2.4.1 and StarOffice
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 20:35:39 GMT

Colin Pinkney wrote:

> Has anyone had any problems with StarOffice and kernel 2.4.1,
> specifically saving to a vfat partition?
>
> I had things working ok, but then I upgraded to kernel 2.4.1 to get some
> of its new features. However when I did that StarOffice then suddenly
> started to refuse to save to my Windows 98 partition.

I haven't tried 2.4.1 myself, but FWIW 2.4.0 and 2.4.2 both
were ok here (including writing StarOffice documents to vfat
partitions).  I'll be trying 2.4.3 this week, but I don't
expect any problems.  I'd move on up to at least 2.4.2 if I
were you.

J-P Stewart

------------------------------

From: "Hiawatha Bray" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.setup,linux.redhat.misc,linux.samba
Subject: Re: What's with mksmbpasswd?
Date: 08 Apr 2001 20:41:50 GMT

Thanks for the help.  That worked.  But now I've got new problems.

First, how do I get my Windows box to see the files on my Linux machine?
When I go to Network Neighborhood, I see the Linux computer, but when I
click on the Icon for it, I get an Action Cancelled window.  When I run net
view in a DOS window, I get an Error 53 saying the computer can't find the
machine.  But when I do a generic net view command, to show all the boxes
connected, the Linux box pops right up.  I don 't get this.  Do I need to
set up shares for the Linux drives?  If so, how?

My other question:  How do I see the Windows shares on the Linux box?
What's the Linux equivalent of Network Neighborhood?  Thanks.

news:JOWz6.48$[EMAIL PROTECTED]...

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Print error: "No filename for parameters given: Assume stcany."
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 13:23:48 -0500

Since updating printtool/printfilters on my RH6.1/kernel 2.2.18
system in an attempt to get support for multiple resolutions on
my Epson ESC600 printer I have been seeing the line above (in
"Subject:" field) appear at the top of all my print jobs.  It is
most unhelpful.  What filename?  Which parameters? Why?  Where?
How?

Reverting to the uniprint driver did not help.  Reverting to the
older printtool/rhs-printfilters packages did not work (script
errors; couldn't run printtool at all).  Deleting the print
queues and recreating them did not help.  Man gs useless.  gs
html documentation similarly unhelpful.  Search on deja reveals
nothing helpful.

How do I get rid of that line from my print output?

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: John Thompson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: serious problem ~~
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 13:30:39 -0500

Moonlight wrote:

> There is a serious problem in my linux... please help
> There are two partitions: /hda1 -- for root ( / ) and /hda5 -- for home
>  /home ).....
> The available disk space is running out in /hda1 (only have 50Mb left),
> however, /hda5 still has enough space (approx. 700Mb).......
> Can I transfer directories (or files) /usr, /bin, /etc, /lib, etc... to
> /hda5, so I can free up some space in / .....??

Yes.  The simple way would be to copy /usr or whatever to a new
directory and sym-link it to the original directory in /.

> or I can do it any other ways...??
> and
> if I buy another HardDisk, how can I put those directories into this new
> HardDisk ??

Same way, except you can put them on separate partitions if you
like.

--

-John ([EMAIL PROTECTED])

------------------------------

From: Jean-David Beyer <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: How copy/backup entire drive to another drive?
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 16:56:19 -0400

Andre - remove no spam wrote:

> Do you know the easiest way to copy the entire linux drive to another drive in
> a way that preserves system integrity: permissions, directory trees, etc?

How about find {old desired partion} -print | cpio -p {new desired
partition}

better do man find and man cpio first.

--
 .~.  Jean-David Beyer           Registered Linux User 85642.
 /V\                             Registered Machine    73926.

------------------------------

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 16:13:02 -0500

Moonlight wrote:

> Hi,
>
> There is a serious problem in my linux... please help
> There are two partitions: /hda1 -- for root ( / ) and /hda5 -- for home
>  /home ).....
> The available disk space is running out in /hda1 (only have 50Mb left),
> however, /hda5 still has enough space (approx. 700Mb).......
> Can I transfer directories (or files) /usr, /bin, /etc, /lib, etc... to
> /hda5, so I can free up some space in / .....??
> or I can do it any other ways...??
> and
> if I buy another HardDisk, how can I put those directories into this new
> HardDisk ??
>
> thank you very much

You can move the directories to /home and make a link on /. for instance move
/var to /home/var , then the command 'ln -s /home/var /var'. This creates a link
from /var to /home/var. This gives a non standard directory structure. Do this
boot from your recovery disk or in single user mode.

new disk is also easy. Assume you have plugged it in and it is hdb

1. partiton your disk with fdisk 'fdisk /dev/hdb'
2. format the partition with mke2fs 'mke2fs /dev/hdb1'
3. create temporary mount point, 'mkdir /mnt/newdisk'
4. mount the partition you created 'mount /dev/hdb1 /mnt/newdisk'
5. copy for example /usr. 'cp -pr /usr /mnt/newdisk'
6. check out contents of /mnt/newdisk. make sure it looks correct
7. unmount the new drive. 'umount /dev/hdb1'
8. rename /usr. 'mv /usr /usrold
9. create new mount point. 'mkdir /usr'
10. mount new usr partition 'mount /dev/hdb1 /usr'

You should now have /usr using the new drive as /dev/hdb1
You'll want to edit /etc/fstab to have the new partition mounted at boot.

When you are satisfied that it is working you can delete /usrold.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 21:19:27 GMT

Andre - remove "no spam" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Do you know the easiest way to copy the entire linux drive to another drive in
> a way that preserves system integrity: permissions, directory trees, etc?

"man cp". (option  -a, possibly -R too).

From: "Peter T. Breuer" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: Slackware games windows bigger than desktop
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 21:19:28 GMT

Bill Lucas <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> When I open a new program 'process' i.e. netscape the new window is
> longer than the desktop? Netscape has the maxamize button which works

Sounds like you set up the desktop too small. You want to choose
1024x768 or larger.

From: Bob Martin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: SOLUTION to "warning: /etc/hosts.allow..."
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 16:24:52 -0500

Kevin wrote:

> I had been recently getting new errors in my log files like this:
>
>     warning: /etc/hosts.allow, line 12: can't verify hostname:
>     gethostbyname(my.host.and.domain) failed
>
> As it turns out I'd added a new host IP to my hosts.allow file.
> But, while I was at it I also added comments for entries, like so:
>
>     ALL: 123.123.123.12 # some.host.some.where
>
> The above causes the warning I was getting, and what follows
> works just fine without errors being reported.
>
>     ALL: 123.123.123.12
>
> Odd, but I guess I know what the problem is now.
>
> Cheers...

After editing the tcp wrappers file you also run tcpdchk to check the
configuration changes.
--

Bob Martin

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Andre - remove "no spam")
Date: Sun, 08 Apr 2001 19:30:48 GMT

Thanks I will read the man pages and see if piping in this way is what I'm
looking for.

------------------------------

From: "ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: redhat.kernel.general,linux.redhat.install,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: kernel upgrade - yikes!!
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2001 15:13:45 -0700

"tech2kjason" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote in message
news:[EMAIL PROTECTED]...
> On Fri, 6 Apr 2001 23:58:02 -0700, "ekkis" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
> >ran up2date on RH7 and was confused by the "excluded" list... it upgraded
my
> >kernel rpms to 2.2.17... after rebooting the box I have no network!
troulbe
> >is uname says I'm still on 2.2.16 but the modules directory under
/usr/lib
> >says 17 and there's no 16... yikes!
> >
> >can anyone suggest what I can do, especially given that I have no access
> >the net since the NICs won't come up?
> >
> >1k tia - erick
> >

> I always wondered why RH advised users  not to use up2date to upgrade
> kernel packages... now I know...
>
> This issue can be resolved in one of two ways:
>
> 1 ) manually reinstall the updated kernel packages yourself:
>
> or
>
> 2) follow these steps...
>
> cd /boot
> ls -al
> verify that the System.map-2.2.17, kernel.h-2.2.17,
> module-info-2.2.17, and vmlinuz-2.2.17 are present and/or linked
> properly from System.map, kernel.h, module-info, and vmlinuz
>
> with ls -al you should see something like...
> kernel.h --> kernel.h-2.2.17
> module-info --> module-info-2.2.17
> System.map --> System.map-2.2.17
> vmlinuz --> vmlinuz-2.2.17
> kernel.h-2.2.17
> module-info-2.2.17
> System.map-2.2.17
> vmlinuz-2.2.17
>

> if /boot looks okay, it's time to visit lilo.conf inside /etc.
> cd /etc
>
> use your favorite editor to verify the lilo.conf file, to make sure
> that the "image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.17" is pointing to the right kernel.
>
> in my case, that section looks like this:
> "image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.4.3"
> label=linux
> read-only
> root=/dev/hdc9
>
> other=/dev/hda1
> label=win98
>
> Just remember that if you make any changes lilo.conf, to type lilo at
> the prompt, so that it initializes it's pointers for the next reboot.

thanks for replying.  nfortunately option 1 was not available since up2date
cleaned up after itself so I don't have the RPMs and I can't get them as my
NICs don't work with the system as is... so I followed option 2:

when I get a listing from /boot I notice that while:

System.map -> System.map-2.2.17-14
module-info -> module-info-2.2.17-14
vmlinuz -> vmlinuz-2.2.17-14

and

System.map-2.2.17-14
module-info-2.2.17-14
vmlinuz-2.2.17-14

exist, there is no kernel.h-2.2.17-14 and kernel.h is a normal file (dated
before the upgrade (as are boot.b, chain.b message and os2_d.b) instead of
being a link.

also I notice that initrd.2.2.16-22.img exists (and doesn't seem to belong
to any package) and there is no 2.2.17-14 version...

also, the contents of my lilo.conf:

boot=/dev/hda
map=/boot/map
install=/boot/boot.b
prompt
timeout=50
message=/boot/message
linear
default=linux

image=/boot/vmlinuz-2.2.16-22
    label=linux
    initrd=/boot/initrd-2.2.16-22.img
    read-only
    root=/dev/hda1

what next then?  can I change the image without having a new initrd?

1k thx - e

From: Manatee <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: put back panel in Gnome
Date: 8 Apr 2001 15:25:48 PDT

I am new to Gnome (switched recently from KDE). I was messing around and removed the
panel
at the buttom. How do I put it back? It is not clear how to put this panel back.

Manatee