  Re: How can I use vesablank to shut off my monitor from X? (Rob Mahurin)

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Pawel Sakowski)
Crossposted-To: alt.linux,alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: LINUS Can Suck My Hairy Cock .. or Newbie Needs Linux Help ...
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 10:09:31 +0100

>1)use debug straight from install  (am I right? I'm sure you'll let me know)

You can use "gdb" from the very beginning.

>3)make bill gates rich

$ mail [EMAIL PROTECTED] -s Here comes money<<END
This is my VISA card number: 0123456789012
Expiry date: 12/99
You can take $1000000 from it
END

--
"We are different"

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Obscure bug (?) in Linux telnet
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:16:44 GMT

Jeremy Mathers <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Now, try:
>       telnet 0 13 < /dev/null

Works fine here, mostly RH-5.2 binaries, telnet is 0.10-5
kernel is 2.1.recent

Jason.

------------------------------

Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.windows.x,comp.os.linux.setup
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Backgroup graphic on xterm ?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:19:18 GMT

In comp.os.linux.misc [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>  Could anybody know that how to set the backgroup graphic on xterm and KDE
>  terminal ? I wonder can it be done on X windows.

rxvt supports this via the -pixmap switch

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Subject: Re: * and dot files
Date: 12 Jan 1999 18:48:46 GMT

In the sacred domain of comp.os.linux.misc didst Pascal Rigaux <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
eloquently scribe:
: I've looking around for a while for the best solution to get all the files, even
: the dot files.

: For eg: rm -rf /tmp/* to clean the tmp
: But it misses the dot files.

: Ok i know i could use find to do that example, but i want something more
: general.

: I usually use rm /tmp/.[a-zA-Z]*   but it's hard to type and it's not nice.

use rm /tmp/.*
Much easier, and it'll get . files starting with other charecters as well.
|[EMAIL PROTECTED]|   Windows95 (noun): 32 bit extensions and a    |
|                          | graphical shell for a 16 bit patch to an 8 bit |
|     Andrew Halliwell     | operating system originally  coded for a 4 bit |
|       Finalist in:-      |microprocessor, written by a 2 bit company, that|
|     Computer Science     |        can't stand 1 bit of competition.       |
|GCv3.1 GCS/EL>$ d---(dpu) s+/- a- C++ U N++ o+ K- w-- M+/++ PS+++ PE- Y t+ |
|5++ X+/++ R+ tv+ b+ D G e>PhD h/h+ !r! !y-|I can't say F**K either now! :( |

------------------------------

From: John Feldman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.os.linux,comp.os.linux.networking,comp.os.linux.setup,comp.os.linux.x
Subject: Re: PPP/Online with Cwix.com ISP
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:07:27 -0500

You are absolutley right.  MCI2000, now CWIX, does use CHAP authentication.
At least they did when I was a customer 6 months ago.  I wasted an entire day
wrestling with ppp when I had that account.  I finally gave up and decided to
call MCI and see what type of authentication they were using,.  The first tech
that I spoke to didn't know what PAP or CHAP was, the second one knew they
were using CHAP.  Both gave me a big hassle about not supporting Linux.

The thing was, I wasn't askin for any freagin Linux support! ..just some basic
info about how their RAS servers were setup.  Guess they don't teach that
stuff in tech support school.

Anyway, edit your chap-secrets file and you'll be good to go.  If I remember
correctly, I too was using Ezppp at the time and it worked almost instantly
after I made the corrections.

Good Luck

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 16:02:46 EST
From: ishwar rattan <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject:    RedHat-5.2 kernel recompile problem..

Hello,

I am trying to customize the kernel under RedHat-5.2 (kernel-sources-2.0.36-0.7)
and am having problems.

1. When I configure the kernel code fot AIC7xxx (Adaptac 2940 card), the
compilation
   aborts with syntax error in aic7xxx.h:46

2. When I unconfigure SCSI card and configure the DECchip 21040 based PCI
ethercard
   (RedyLink card) the compilation aborts again.

Any help will be appreciated.
- ishwar

=========/usr/src/linux/.config===
..
# SCSI support
#
CONFIG_SCSI=y

#
# SCSI support type (disk, tape, CD-ROM)
#
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SD=y
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_ST=m
CONFIG_BLK_DEV_SR=m
CONFIG_CHR_DEV_SG=m

#
# Some SCSI devices (e.g. CD jukebox) support multiple LUNs
#
# CONFIG_SCSI_MULTI_LUN is not set
CONFIG_SCSI_CONSTANTS=y

#
# SCSI low-level drivers
#
CONFIG_SCSI_7000FASST=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA152X=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1542=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AHA1740=m
CONFIG_SCSI_AIC7XXX=y
..

CONFIG_NET_PCI=y
# CONFIG_PCNET32 is not set
# CONFIG_EEXPRESS_PRO100B is not set
# CONFIG_DE4X5 is not set
CONFIG_DEC_ELCP=y
# CONFIG_DGRS is not set
..

------------------------------

From: Michael Powe <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: upgrading libraries with slackware 3.5
Date: 12 Jan 1999 12:24:09 -0800

[posted and mailed]

    Josh> I'm running Slackware 3.5, kernel 2.0.36. I downloaded the
    Josh> 2.1.131 kernel source and am in the process of trying to
    Josh> upgrade my egcs, libs, modules, etc. to allow me to compile
    Josh> the new kernel, and I'm stuck on upgrading my libraries.  I
    Josh> got

First of all, it should not be necessary to upgrade anything to
compile the newer kernels.  I started with slack 3.5 and I'm running
on kernel 2.2.0-pre6 right now and recompiling it in another window as
I write.  I'm using the out-of-the-box egcs.

 113 $ --> gcc --version
egcs-2.90.29 980515 (egcs-1.0.3 release)

    Josh> sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC/egcs-1.0.3-glibc.x86.tar.bz2
    Josh> and
    Josh> sunsite.unc.edu/pub/Linux/GCC/egcs-1.0.3-libc5.x86.tar.bz2 I
    Josh> installed (or so I thought) them as it said in
    Josh> release.egcs-1.0.3, but it doesn'y seem to be working. it
    Josh> says to do the following: bzip2 -dc
    Josh> egcs-1.0.3-libc5.x86.tar.bz2 | tar xvvf - bzip2 -dc
    Josh> egcs-1.0.3-glibc.x86.tar.bz2 | tar xvvf - now, I tried this

If the files are binaries, then you should be in the directory above
the location into which they are going to be stored.  Normally, these
tarballs are created so that you just put them in / and untar from
there.

    Josh> while in /usr/local/src, and I ended up with libraries in
    Josh> /usr/local/src/usr/lib/.......so obviously my first try was
    Josh> wrong.  I then tried copying both of the tar.bz2 files to /,
    Josh> cding to /, and running the 2 bzip2 commands again, and
    Josh> still no luck. i THINK my C libraries work, but the c++ libs

What do you mean by "no luck"?  According to your example, if you put
the archives in / and expand them, they should go to /usr/lib and
whereever else they're designed to go.

    Josh> do not. I couldn't even compile a C++ Hello World program.
    Josh> I looked in /usr/lib/GCC (or something like that...I'm in
    Josh> windoze right now...), and c++ is a symbolic link to
    Josh> g++. g++ is also a symbolic link to g++. so any time I try
    Josh> to access the c++ libraries I get "too many symbolic links".

It sounds like you have libraries in two places (or more).  You need
to figure out where all the dependencies are and eliminate the ones
you don't need anymore.  You should end up with one set of
everything.  The path for my extra egcs libraries looks like this:

/usr/lib/gcc-lib/i586-pc-linux-gnulibc1/egcs-2.90.29

    Josh> what am I doing wrong?  also, which is "better", gcc or
    Josh> egcs? I've noticed that every time I compile a kernel
    Josh> (2.0.*) with egcs I get about 8 million warnings, yet the
    Josh> kernel compiles and runs fine. is it possible to switch from
    Josh> egcs to gcc, and if so how hellish is the process?

It would be counterproductive to "switch" from egcs to gcc.  Egcs is,
at least at this point, the future of gcc.  My understanding is that
all future development of gcc will be in egcs -- barring some falling
out between Stallman and Cygnus, I suppose.

mp

8<---------------how-easy-is-it-to-demunge-an-address?------------------->8
#! /usr/bin/perl # if you are [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Another Luser):
while ($line = <>){ if ($line =~ m/^\s*$/ ){ last; }
if ($line =~ m/^From: (\S+) \(([^()]*)\)/){ $from_address = $1; } }
if ($from_address =~ m/\S+NOSPAM\S+/){ $x = index($from_address, NOSPAM);
substr($from_address, $x, 6+1) = ""; printf("The real address is %s\n",
$from_address);}else { printf("No munge, just plain %s\n",$from_address);}
printf("\nBrought to you by the Truth In Mail Headers Foundation\n");
8<-----------------------here's-one-example------------------------------>8

- --
                             Michael Powe
            [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.trollope.org
                         Portland, Oregon USA

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: command line bmp to jpeg
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:33:09 GMT

Codifex Maximus <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> small size, JPEG is good for... nothing really.

Apart from just about every www site on the internet....

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: HELP do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: ....
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:37:40 GMT

Matt Bettencourt <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused
> do_ypcall: clnt_call: RPC: Unable to receive; errno = Connection refused

yp is I presume Yellow Pages / NIS

> I am not running yp at all right now
> and there are no yp services in my inetd.conf file.  I don't know why it
> is using yp.

yp runs as an RPC service via portmap. Is portmap not running perhaps ?

> I have only updated these packages in the last week
> libc-5.3.12-28 from the standard 5.1 version

I would hazard a guess that libc is trying to resolve usernames etc.. via
NIS, have a look at /etc/nsswitch.conf and see if there is anything odd going
on in there.
If you aren't using NIS at all, rip out all the nis directives and see
if that helps.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Let A Linux server look like a W95 / NT Share?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:30:14 GMT

Brian Newman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have a question on this.  I've got Samba (smb.conf) set up to share everything
> I want to share with the Win95 box attached via ethernet to my Linux box.  On
> the Win95 side, what do I do to get to it?  Do I go to a DOS prompt and type
> "net use \\192.168.xxx.xxx\c k:" or something like that?

Nothing so complex ! Your linux box will appear as another browsable server
in exploder->tools->map network drive

Jason.

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (Steve Mading)
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Subject: Re: Consumer Poll Says Microsoft Is Good For Consumers
Date: 12 Jan 1999 15:38:46 -0600

Larry ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

: Most people that make these heart wrenching claims about the poor red man
: are a bunch of idiots that have no idea what they are talking about
: and have never been near an indian reservation in thier lives.
: In fact my friend in Oklahoma puts it down as stupid liberal
: racism. He is really tired of the bleeding hearts making them out to be a
: bunch of ignorant stupid savages. He believes this is the worst form of
: racism.

Speaking of ignorance, there are natives living in places other than
Oklahoma, you realize, right?  And different arrangements have been
made with different remnants of tribes in different reservations
around the country.  Your anecdotal evidence is not universally
applicable.
--
Steve Mading:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]   http://www.execpc.com/~madings

------------------------------

From: Mark Ramos <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: StarOffice question
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:40:12 -0800

Stephen Richard FREELAND wrote:

> Boris Statnikov <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> : Did anyone notice memory usage by StarOffice?
> : top shows 5 processes, about 22MB large each.  OUCH!
> : Did I mis-install the app?
>         Okay, it's not as bad as it seems.  I've got 6 x 31 megs showing,
> with 6 x 10M resident.  I only have 32M of physical memory, so I'd say it's
> a fairly safe guess that they aren't *separate* memory chunks...  It *is*
> awfully fat, though.

It appears that way because the program is threaded which makes  it run more
efficiently.

Mark

------------------------------

From: "Alain Coetmeur" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.admin,comp.unix.questions
Subject: Re: Windows emulation : NT/WIN32 will help emulator ?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 12:51:36 +0100

Steve Revilak a écrit dans le message <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>...
>dstephen <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> 98 percent of the software that I like to use is 95 or Nt only. A lot of
>> really great games that I like to play mostly. I perfer Nt over 95 for
>> gaming (if the game runs under NT, otherwise use 95 ) since the game
>> crashes but not the os (I've gotten NT to a real stable point)
>This may be a silly notion, but has anyone written a windows emulator
>for windows?  Perhaps I'm crazy, but one would think that such a
>creature would make Linux a much more attractive offering, particularly
>to an organization with a large base of existing ms apps.

I think this is a realistic point of view.

ther

I'm also thinking about the evolution from Win98 to NT
Win9x is a messy mix of Win16 Win32 and realmode x86.
I think that it is very hard to emulate since you must emulate
all aspect of the physical and logical PC. The games are the
worst.

anyway maybe MS is (involuntarily) paving the way to
good emulator (and clone OS and non x86 processors)
 with it's evolution from Win9x to NT...

Win32 API is complex but it is an API that abstract from the hardware.
even the driver now are more hardware independent with the
miniport abstraction and the HAL.

DirectX APIs are even abstracting game makers from
the hardware, and other OSs can try to emulate those API,
maybe even more efficiently since one don't have to
be x86 compatible but API compatible...

moreover the important points in API is not what microsoft make of them
(it can change them often), but what developers use.
you must emulate what they use, and if MS add new API every monday,
the developers will not produce software that use them so often.
someone that follow those changes as fast as the developers themselves
will be uptodate.
the metaphor is that when the target is moving, it is hard to follow it.
but in fact you are not following the moving target, but the hunter
who is no faster than you !

Do you agree ? comment ?

------------------------------

From: Tim <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,gnu.misc.discuss,uk.comp.os.linux
Date: 12 Jan 1999 21:27:23 +0000

[EMAIL PROTECTED] (Phil Hunt) writes:

> In article <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
>            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
>            "David Kastrup" writes:
> > > YOU mean to tell ME that /I/ am the /ONLY/ one who bought for heating
> > > purposes?!?! <G>
> >
> > Linux sucks for heating purposes as it puts the processor into "HALT"
> > state whenever it has nothing to do.
> >
> > For heating purposes, Windows 95 is the much more useful platform (as
> > opposed to NT which also HALTs the processor).  Does anybody know
> > whether a system crash can accidetally put Windows 95 into HALT mode,
> > or does it heat reliably also in that situation?
>
> On my box, Linux and Windows are about as good as each other for heating,
> as most of the heat is generated by the monitor.

        My  monitor does the dpms  power off thingy. However if you're
looking for Linux heating, can I recomend running crack niced to about
ooh say 10 so  that it doesn't  impact too heavily on  anything useful
whilst keeping  the processor busy  ;) Another good temperature raiser
is turning big wav files into mp3s....

--
                                /\     /\
                                 O ___ O

        http://www.dur.ac.uk/~d61920  mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]

------------------------------

From: "Michael P. Reilly" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.unix.shell
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:48:00 GMT

In comp.unix.shell [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

: : For eg: rm -rf /tmp/* to clean the tmp
: : But it misses the dot files.

: : Ok i know i could use find to do that example, but i want something more
: : general.

: : I usually use rm /tmp/.[a-zA-Z]*   but it's hard to type and it's not nice.

: use rm /tmp/.*
: Much easier, and it'll get . files starting with other charecters as well.

Important!! Make sure that you do NOT include "-r" in the above command.
The wildcard ".*" will match "." and ".." and will delete the parent
directory and it's contents.

  -Arcege

------------------------------

From: Arthur <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To:
comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy,comp.os.linux.x,gnu.misc.discuss
Subject: Re: Anti-other-guys-os FUD (was: Anti-Linux FUD)
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 14:32:08 -0800

Thomas R. Stevenson wrote:

> I just don't understand this polarization of ideas about "which OS is
> the best". It's like saying "which is better, a fork or a spoon?", or
> "an automatic or a stick-shift?", or "a fork, spoon, and a knife or
> chop-sticks?".

To answer your questions: Linux, stick-shift, fork, knife.
Everybody knows that! :)

[snip some good comments]

> Even this is OK if
> you're just having fun (I know it makes me laugh when I read these
> threads). Just don't think your going to change anyones opinion with
> all of theses extreme comments.
>
> I wish this could turn into a real conversation on the weak/strong
> points of both OSs. That could lead to important changes that could
> benefit everyone. As it is now, these threads will do nothing more
> than provide comic relief.

Comic relief is a Good Thing.

To some extent you're right, EXCEPT that this is a REAL
conversation - looks about the same as conversations I've
had regarding politics, religion, cars, sports, or anything
else people really care about (allowing for the effect of
the fact that on Usenet nobody can take a swing at you).
I think NG's like these are good for two things: 1. You can
collect a lot of information pro and con that you can
then evaluate to make your own decision; 2. If you've
already made a decision, you can find lots of stuff from
advocates to help you rationalize your decision. Sort
of like a support group - no small thing.

I really prefer getting info from people who are
passionate about what they believe. If you want to know
where Republicans or Democrats stand, I don't think it
makes much sense to ask an Independent (or not to
listen to both sides).

I used to be a field applications engineer for a
distributor that sold both Motorola and Intel processors.
So some days I'd be out talking to design engineers
advocating Mot, and on other days advocating Intel.
If you believe most of this stuff gets decided on
"technical merits" you're badly mistaken. It's 90%
religious arguments. The 10% determines whether you
live or die, and you have to figure that out for
yourself anyway - nobody can give you those answers.

The bottom line is that nobody here really has
the "Truth", in fact there is no "Truth", and
that doesn't matter. What's important is the
conversation. The concept of "Truth" is just an
artifice to keep the conversation going.

Arthur

------------------------------

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Crossposted-To: alt.destroy.microsoft,comp.os.linux.advocacy,comp.os.os2.advocacy
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 11:35:29 GMT

In article <e8rB19wO#[EMAIL PROTECTED]>,
  "Netnerd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> David Kastrup wrote in message ...
> >"Netnerd" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:
 <snip>
> >party of the alleged business practices.  Of course it helps them if
> >Microsoft is restricted to fighting them by legal means.
>
> The US antitrust laws are designed to protect consumers, not competitors.
> Has the consumer been harmed?  Of course not.  Have competitors been harmed?

  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ My girlfriend last night lost some
modifications to her CV (resume) because Win95 went pear shaped. As a direct
result of MS's monopolistic tactics in past years, the reliability of her
computer has been impared, and she (the consumer) has been harmed. Win95 is
so bad because of MS's monopoly. Deal with the facts.

Christian

From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] (David M. Cook)
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: compiler for linux
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:26:32 GMT

On Tue, 12 Jan 1999 13:11:45 GMT, David M. Cook <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>On Mon, 11 Jan 1999 17:42:38 -0500, Brandon <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>>If compiling it wont allow it to work on a win95 machine using gcc,
>>would it be possible to use some sort of Borland program on linux so
>>that it will work a win95 machine? ? Which if it is possible I would
>>need to know if there is such a program available, hopefully free.

>Use the following switches to gcc: -ansi -pedantic

Ooops.  Didn't read too carfully.  The above will ensure that your code is
ANSI compliant, but you still have to recompile it under Borland.  Checking
your code with two different compilers is not a bad idea anyway.

There is something called cross-elf that would allow you to compile DOS
executables under Linux, but I've never tried it.  It may also be possible to
set DJGPP up as a cross-compiler.  Neither sounds worth the bother if
you ask me, but I'm lazy.

http://www.planet.net/pjoshv/cross-elf.html
http://www.delorie.com/djgpp/

However if you bring your laptop and can show your instructor your running
program, I don't see why he should care what compiler/platform you use.

Dave Cook

From: Rob Mahurin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Crossposted-To: comp.os.linux.x,comp.os.linux.setup
Subject: Re: How can I use vesablank to shut off my monitor from X?
Date: Tue, 12 Jan 1999 21:51:40 +0000

Oh yeah -- my monitor is a Sony CPD-100VS